Please elp identify this tandem. Is it a Huffy??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tandem, which I’ve had for about 30 years. It was always black and rusty. I recently stripped it down and painted it. It had a Schwinn name plate & (what I believe to be) Schwinn cranks. But I think it may actually be a Huffy.
The serial number is:

505-459910. (See pics)

there is another number stamped, but it looks to be hand stamped. (See pics)
CC37D1BC-2352-40E0-B97A-CDE1773BCEA5.jpeg
3E680CBA-E55A-4DB3-B0B4-A82AB9AFE8DE.jpeg
29BE736F-E7D0-4663-8361-B058A78DF72A.jpeg
4C16C0D4-1875-49B5-945D-3A5C3F249611.jpeg
D3BBCF4B-1975-45EF-93F0-4AF92A321061.jpeg
56E48107-7359-4748-A56E-743F2C153718.jpeg
1FDD15BF-CEB6-41C1-ACF1-E8A3DEE322E0.jpeg
F7287428-E212-40CF-B249-181AAEE215F7.jpeg
94CEFE36-C6D2-45ED-A680-D94ACFBE473B.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a Huffy frame. The cranks and fork came off a Schwinn probably. The shape of the frame and the top of the seat stay in the rear are definitely Huffy features. Usually Huffy has a number that has an "H" as the second digit, but tandems may be different. I'd guess early 60's for a build date.

1656995552013.png

Yes, it's a Huffy make. Sold as the Huffy Daisy Daisy and by several other sellers with other names. Huffy and most other bike manufacturers would make bikes for many other retailers. Yours appears to be one sold by Sears. The 505 (sears supplier code) is followed by the catalog number 459910 and then the serial number is the second line. There are many hundreds of Sears suppliers with many code lists on the www. Wishbook has many of the catalogs scanned. Each year is text searchable so you might find the actual catalog page (tedious search).

I owned two of them. Photo later.

The Schwinn head badge is bogus.

The fork is a Schwinn flat blade model off a single bike. Possibly from a Varsity or a Collegiate or one of the 3 speed models, Racer, Breeze, etc.

The original cranks are lousy. The right side bearing cone doesn't thread on. it's a slip fit (loose). The chain ring wobbles and is held in place by over tightening the bearings. The chain jumps off often. I replaced the cranks in mine with Schwinn cranks (threaded right side cone) and it worked much better. Any crank with a threaded right cone would be an improvement.

the rear end is prone to collapse like many other girls frames. Mine was reinforced by shoving a second seat post way in. A double wall seat tube if you will.

I had two of them in the late 1970s. One came with a Schwinn Twin tandem fork (far stronger than the stock fork). The other fork was bent. I welded my two together to make an in line 4 person tandem (quad). I used the Schwinn Twin fork and it's held up despite the extra load and much abuse. Here are photos of us riding it during Ragbrai in 1982. Kinda low rez as the photos were from a different century.

26408144297_44967ec0d7_b.jpg

51932119311_c5bb8d2846_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Huffy make. Sold as the Huffy Daisy Daisy and by several other sellers with other names. Huffy and most other bike manufacturers would make bikes for many other retailers. Yours appears to be one sold by Sears. The 505 (sears supplier code) is followed by the catalog number 459910 and then the serial number is the second line. There are many hundreds of Sears suppliers with many code lists on the www. Wishbook has many of the catalogs scanned. Each year is text searchable so you might find the actual catalog page (tedious search).

The fork is a Schwinn flat blade model off a single bike. Possibly from a Varsity or a Collegiate or one of the 3 speed models, Racer, Breeze, etc.

The original cranks are lousy. The right side bearing cone doesn't thread on. it's a slip fit (loose). The chain ring wobbles and is held in place by over tightening the bearings. The chain jumps off often. I replaced the cranks in mine with Schwinn cranks (threaded right side cone) and it worked much better. Any crank with a threaded right cone would be an improvement.

the rear end is prone to collapse like many other girls frames. Mine was reinforced by shoving a second seat post way in. A double wall seat tube if you will.

I had two of them in the late 1970s. One came with a Schwinn Twin tandem fork (far stronger than the stock fork). The other fork was bent. I welded my two together to make an in line 4 person tandem (quad). I used the Schwinn Twin fork and it's held up despite the extra load and much abuse. Here are photos of us riding it during Ragbrai in 1982. Kinda low rez as the photos were from a different century.

The way the tubes flow on your quad really looks good. They meet and make an unbroken wavy pattern. Especially noticeable in the bottom picture.

That's a Huffy frame. The cranks and fork came off a Schwinn probably. The shape of the frame and the top of the seat stay in the rear are definitely Huffy features. Usually Huffy has a number that has an "H" as the second digit, but tandems may be different. I'd guess early 60's for a build date.

View attachment 199125
Thank you for your reply and the pic. That is definitely the same frame I have. 👆🏻

Great info. I have what I believe to be the same set up; Schwinn cranks and forks & the Huffy frame. This one was so rusted that I still am unable to get the rear gooseneck out of the tube. The nut broke off so I just drilled it and will use a “tap & die” to thread and put a smaller nut in to hold the bars on.
I was hoping to bring it back to full stock, but it sounds like to the best way to set this one up has already been done by someone else along the way.
Thanks again for the info. Appreciated.

The 505 Sears supplier code is for Monark. 507 was for Huffy.

I believe that Huffy purchased Monark in 1957.

The serial number does not look like a Huffy format.

The 505 Sears supplier code is for Monark. 507 was for Huffy.

I believe that Huffy purchased Monark in 1957.

The serial number does not look like a Huffy format.
Good info!
So, it's a Monark tandem, made by Huffy. I found an example. Notice the Huffy late 50's chain wheels.
1659738211698.png

Latest posts

Back