Please help identify this. Western Flyer Serial# HW 31786

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this bike in the thrift shop and am wondering about the model and year of the bike. Please see the pictures below. The badge says "Western Flyer." I located a serial number under the bike which is "H W 3 1 7 8 6." It has a steel seat. And what do you think about $50 price. Do you think it's okay price to pay for this bike. Any help and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

2012-02-11%252012.12.36.jpg

2012-02-11%252012.14.43.jpg

Thank you.

KJV said:
you should grab it.
thrift stores will usually
come down on price,
if you only ask. :mrgreen: :idea:

I'm pretty positive that I would get it. but I also like to find out more about the bike :) thanks.

I can't tell from the pictures for suer, but if it is a skiptooth (and it looks like it is) then THAT is why you get it for $50 bucks. A skiptooth drivetrain usually signifies the bike is made in the mid to early 50's, possibly late 40's. Your Western Flyer was probably made by CWC (Cleveland Welding Company). And if your not familur with a skiptooth drivetrain, if the sprockets and cogs seem to only have half the teeth, spaced out twice as far (than normal) and the chain looks oddly spaced too, then its probably a skiptooth.

Id bet most of us here would take that sweet classic for $50 bucks in a heart beat. So my official guess is that your particualr bike is made either late 40's or early 50's. And the bike looks to be in rather descent shape and has good patina. Snag it up! :mrgreen:

roadmaster said:
I can't tell from the pictures for suer, but if it is a skiptooth (and it looks like it is) then THAT is why you get it for $50 bucks. A skiptooth drivetrain usually signifies the bike is made in the mid to early 50's, possibly late 40's. Your Western Flyer was probably made by CWC (Cleveland Welding Company). And if your not familur with a skiptooth drivetrain, if the sprockets and cogs seem to only have half the teeth, spaced out twice as far (than normal) and the chain looks oddly spaced too, then its probably a skiptooth.

Id bet most of us here would take that sweet classic for $50 bucks in a heart beat. So my official guess is that your particualr bike is made either late 40's or early 50's. And the bike looks to be in rather descent shape and has good patina. Snag it up! :mrgreen:

Thanks for verifying it. I would have hoped that it would be older than 40's. Not sure about skiptooth, but I will take a look at it again. What if it's not a skiptooth, would it be something that was made in post-war era (newer)? yeah man, I will definitely get it. Do you think it's okay to get the frame sandblasted?

thank you very much.

Tell them to use glass beads, not sand. You don't need that much abrasive power. Neat find! Gary

Thank you all for the tips. I went back to check it again and yes it has skiptooth. Still didn't know for sure what model it is and what year it was made. "roadmaster"'s estimate is very valid, so, with the skiptooth design, the bike should be made around mid 50's or earlier.

Any chance one can tell by looking at the head badge design? I see many different styles for Western Flyer, so I guess that should help narrow down to certain period.

Yes, once I get it I'll post up some pictures.

Oh, I'm still debating between restoring it or cleaning it up and keeping it as it is.

Have it dropped off today. So here are some pictures

What is the black thing below? Anyone knows?

_DSC0069.jpg

_DSC0068.jpg

_DSC0061.jpg

_DSC0062.jpg

_DSC0063.jpg

_DSC0065.jpg

_DSC0066.jpg

_DSC0067.jpg

_DSC0073.jpg

That black thing is the bleeder screw/oil valve for the hub. You can lube it without taking it apart.

O.K. I've came back and looked at this many times. Your bike is a Huffman built Western Flyer. I'll start by saying certain characteristics of this bike date it to pre 1940. First is the dropstand ears, next is the cinch bolt on the frame for the seatpost, last and not least is the straight tube from the headtube to the crank hanger. They stopped using that straight bar in 1939 on everything except the "special line" Huffmans. Because of this being a Western Flyer it could have been built with parts that they had laying around at the factory for Western Auto. I have seen bikes badged for Western Auto with Huffman frames and Shockmaster forks from CWC. Nice find!!!!

Thanks a ton for helping me. I sent an email to NBHAA and they also confirmed, like you, that it is a huffman.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. :lol:

That's the same badge that my 1940 Shelby built Western Flyer has.

Just an intact usable skiptooth chain can run $30.

That bike is cool as it sits. Just throw some tires and tubes on there and re-grease everything.

Come on Guys, I taught you better than that!
just kidding, this is a 1938 Huffman made Western Flyer.
the tell tales are the straight down tube limit it to 1938 and before, as does the drop stand ears. then there's another thing that tells it as a 1938. the upper rear fender attach point is straight. the 1937's and earlier are curved. I have an AirFlyte with this frame.
nice find, and at a great price!

About the progress, my apology to those who like patina look. I was debating between keeping it patina look or powder coating it, I guess the powder coating idea won :). It just had to many bad spots, so I went with powder coating and sandblasting many peices. Updated pictures are below...

177595_442104359146095_1447531023_o.jpg

539854_443105219046009_2096149098_n.jpg

2012-07-22%252017.47.51.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Still need couple of things, but for now it rides nicely. It sucks around here b/c I live in the hilly area :).

More (better) pictures will come once I get it out for photo shoot.

I found this bike in the thrift shop and am wondering about the model and year of the bike. Please see the pictures below. The badge says "Western Flyer." I located a serial number under the bike which is "H W 3 1 7 8 6." It has a steel seat. And what do you think about $50 price. Do you think it's okay price to pay for this bike. Any help and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

2012-02-11%252012.12.36.jpg

2012-02-11%252012.14.43.jpg

Thank you.
Hi, I own a Western flyer and a spare set of tanks, possibly for sale. Contact email address [email protected] 9549932003

Hi, I own a Western flyer and a spare set of tanks, possibly for sale. Contact email address [email protected] 9549932003
couple of things.........

1. you're replying to a 9 year old thread to a person that hasn't been seen here since 2012
2. you sure you want to put your email and phone number out there for the whole internet to latch onto???

Latest posts

Back