Poor mans RetroTec

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the process of cleaning up this weird thing. 2001 schwinn panther SS. Aluminum 7005 frameset with Mtb geo. Single speed drop outs but has all of the cable stops/ hanger to run a front and rear derailleur. Has deore brakes and a threaded deore lx headset on it. Only annoying things are the 1in threaded fork and the use of a u brake in the rear which limits tire size to a roughly a 2.2 so I have to go buy one with more clearance for 2.3-2.4. Going to go full on 3x9 with shimano xt derailleurs/wheels and race face cranks. I have all of the parts but I always manage to switch things up.

Attachments

• 20210802_195722.jpg
    20210802_195722.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 79
Cool. I am a big fan of RetroTec bikes but alas, I have not found one within my budget.

Curtis Inglis builds beautiful bikes.

There are still great 2.1/2.2 26" tires out there and the rear tire is not nearly as crucial as a front on the singletracks. The rear brake/tire is merely for control and 90% of your braking power is up front. With the 1" threaded fork and the lack of strength/stiffness in quill stems can be cured with a BMX stem. Those Panther frames of that era are a nice choice and I would have bought one of them instead of my Cruiser Supreme if they had made frames in my size.

Latest posts

Back