Post Murray Westport Pictures!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture011.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Middle Stage
Picture007.jpg

I like the chainguard you used, very nice work.

Did you take the original paint and primer off or just the paint, my bikes primer is so tough & hard to get off, even with the best I have which most likely is why my bike didn't have as much rust as some Murrays do after leaving them out for 8 years that I have seen?

Here's my Monterey which was a garbage day salvage. It's still a work in progress, this season I should accessorize it to where I am happy with it.
murraybike.jpg

We recently sanded and repainted my mom's Murray Westport. However, in reassembly, we are missing something to stabilize the front fender. What are we missing to attach the fender to the frame where the hole is on the fender?

I would appreciate any help or direction. Will post pics when we are done.

THANKS!!!

My $50 CL Monteray find. Did have to replace the rear rim as the coaster was shot. Came with fenders, the front one now lives on the wife's '63 Schwinn American. Fork was tweaked, just got a good one from partsguy. Just want to put some apes on it. I use this to run to lunch during the work week, that way I don't have to feed a parking meter or burn 15 minutes of my lunch hour walking.

Murray_Monterat_1.jpg

Murray_Monterat_2.jpg

I haven't done anything with the Murray Westports yet, but here are two that were part of a 4 bikes plus new tires and tubes for $100 deal I made a few weeks back. These will end up being free, because one bike was a Centurion Ironman that I should be able to sell for $300-$400.

3d.jpg

3e.jpg

Here is my Murray that I just restored. I've had the bike for about 25+ years and the tire went out this year, so I thought it was time for a restore! :?
murray%252520finished%252520015.JPG

murray%252520finished%252520005.JPG

Here is what it looked like for 25+
years...
004.JPG

Jimmer said:
Here is my Murray that I just restored. I've had the bike for about 25+ years and the tire went out this year, so I thought it was time for a restore! :?
murray%252520finished%252520015.JPG

murray%252520finished%252520005.JPG

Here is what it looked like for 25+
years...
004.JPG

That one is a beauty before AND after.

Chinese frame, KT Hub, maybe the fork & seat but the rest of the parts are from Wald which the whole bike was assembled the way it is in the US.

The frame is bigger around than the American made frames.

My 1999 Murray Valiant Classic with springer fork I might sell sometime but I don't know when or how much I would ask.
IMG_20120319_165659.jpg

IMG_20120319_165806.jpg

IMG_20120319_170013.jpg

IMG_20120319_170045.jpg

Yeah I believe it was in 1998 that a Chinese company bought Murray for a very few years before Briggs & Stratton and even though it was short lived with the Chinese company they were kind of thinking because they started going back to classic looks on the beach cruisers and even had the Mercury name back because I saw one at The Cabe from the late 90's that had Mercury decals on it.

Edit: Maybe not until 2000 so that makes me a little glad but I have seen some that said made in China but those were Mountain & kids bikes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_(bicycles)
http://re-cycle.com/History/Murray.aspx

Murray is back but with new Lawnmowers though.

Yeah that is a cool Murray made Westen Flyer.

Latest posts

Back