Post Murray Westport Pictures!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine...

Before
bike1.jpg

After
IMG_8339.JPG

016.jpg

I just picked up a Murray Monterey, the brother of the Westport, over the weekend. Right now all i have is the before picture though. I haven't had time to do much more than take it off the bike rack and take a picture.
IMG_5774.jpg

Here's my Monterey. It's a bare frame now as it was just a garage sale parts donor. Gonna get a much needed makeover this summer.
MurrayMonterey.jpg

I have looked all over the internet and every Murray bicycle gets treated like crap no matter what model, Murray bikes have been the bikes that lasted longer than any other bike I have ever had and only got rid of them because of moving to one place to another, My favorite Murray and Huffy but never had a Schwinn yet.
Santa Cruz
PICT1124.jpg

PICT1126.jpg

Monterey Christine bike buld.
PICT0142.jpg

Here's the Monterey I did up for my nephew last year (I love their drop-outs):

032-2.jpg

Hammond Eggz said:
Here's the Monterey I did up for my nephew last year (I love their drop-outs):

Hmmm, must be only certain year Montereys have those dropouts?

Could be. I think that one was about an '86 or so?

Maybe mine's a Westport after all and not a Monterey. Never really paid attention before I peeled all the stickers off. :?

aka_locojoe said:
Does the Westport have a little bit different geometry than the Monterrey and others?
Well hhmmm...mine is definitely a Monteray, so perhaps the Westport frame is different. I'm only 5'10" but the Monteray frame is about an inch shorter than my Huffy Good Vibrations (which is enough to make a more comfortable ride).

All I know is they are all the same bikes with different names, different colors depending on year as well as with or without fenders like Montereys had fenders in the begining but when the mid-late 80's Murray had stoped putting fenders on Montereys but kept or put them on Westports.

Monterey's that I noticed depending on year began with tan which at that time they had fenders, I atleast saw one or two with Monterey name on them were red but I'm not sure if that is right or not, blue in the 80's and then a type of blue/green metallic maybe 88, 89 or was it just in the 90's.

Westports that I noticed were always all red and the Santa Cruz bikes seemed to have been all black but some that I have seen other than my Santa Cruz had hot pink forks on them which seems interesting why those had hot pink forks and not mine.

I think the changed the dropouts just to give bikes something different than they have been for so long although I am just guessing.

Sounds like a good story to me! I think mine DID say Westport after all. It had the bobbed chrome fenders on it when I got it and is a burgundy color with such a thin coat of color it barely coated it. I picked up an old tank for it yesterday and with a different chain guard and new color I am going to try to give it a little character.

Latest posts

Back