prewar ladies wards hawthorne ID sought

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frame had a Morrow coaster, no truss rods and peaked fenders. A lucky 7 style seat post and no grips that I recall. It sported a nice license plate from Austin 1942 however and was ridden by a schoolteacher, I am told during the war years since she did not qualify for much gasoline during rationing. As you can see it was skiptooth. The Wards badge has horizontal mounting holes.

While the rims and spokes were badly worn and the tires were rotted, the Morrow coaster shined up very nice and works great on my '38 CWC men's skiptooth and loves it's new double-wall allow rims. It's the real treasure of the whole bike, the "mighty Morrow."

Planning on making this ladies' frame into a house guest rider bike after having swiped the Morrow and the seat from it for other projects. Any further ID info would be appreciated. While I acquired this for a "donor bike" I can't quite bring myself to let the frame go unloved. I plan on reading up on how to get back as much of the paint's luster as one can and see what that process is like. I've heard WD40 and steel wool? Tips appreciated.

Based on my limited knowledge, I'd feel comfortable (enough) saying that with curved rear fender brace and with the number 14 reversed, that this is a 1941 Snyder built frame. Soap and water first. On tougher dirt, gently use WD40 and some 0000 steel wool. Then several coats of a paste wax of your choosing. Some people even use Pledge, but I haven't tried it. Good for you, for taking the time to clean up this old bike and to view the frame as something other than scrap.

Thanks, with that clue I was able to find this other "sister" bike with the same 14-EH stamp. Apparently 14 is code for 1941 - The license plate seems to corroborate that, too. Whatever they are, and Synder seems highly likely - these two are a lot alike. Different rear dropouts tho, I did notice. Overall shape seems dead-on tho. It's either a Snyder or a CWC i think. The rear fender stays were straight - they all were straight - so that was what made me think it might be CWC.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=77132&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Latest posts

Back