primer as top coat(with lacguer)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this perfect colour which is a primer rattle can and want to use it as the colour of the finished bike.
If I spray over it with lacquer, will it be stong enough as a top coat?

Primer typically comes in black, red, gray, or white. Hot rods often ended up painted with these (except white) either because the owner liked the look or he never got around to the finish coat. The look is very matte. The advantage is you never worry about the finish. If it gets scratched, hit it with some more primer. If some rust breaks through, sand it and hit it with some more primer. You may be able to use some gloss clear coat over primer, but I would guess that you'd be better off finding a gloss paint to your liking. Of course, it all depends on the look you're trying for. have fun!

Primer typically comes in black, red, gray, or white. Hot rods often ended up painted with these (except white) either because the owner liked the look or he never got around to the finish coat. The look is very matte. The advantage is you never worry about the finish. If it gets scratched, hit it with some more primer. If some rust breaks through, sand it and hit it with some more primer. You may be able to use some gloss clear coat over primer, but I would guess that you'd be better off finding a gloss paint to your liking. Of course, it all depends on the look you're trying for. have fun!
As you know, this site is called ratrod... To me that means no high end finishing nor high end painting. I'm keeping my builds rough and untidy but still want them to be durable, also the paint. I know that primer is soft and will not endure against rust, debris and wear, that's why it needs something on top.
I want to keep matte finish and I think I'll use matte lacquer.

We are in agreement except I have to wonder whether the matte lacquer is really necessary. I've seen cars with a primer finish that stayed that way for years. Please post pics of the project for us.

I have started a build topic on this one, it's called Scar. This primer paint is very soft rattle can (maybe poor quality) paint, so it needs something for protection.
IMG_20210701_163349.jpg

I'm waiting for some flat black to cure on a test piece. I'm planning on hitting it with some clear in a couple of days, but not so much for protection, as the look. If my disaster of a life allows it to happen, I'll share results.

PS I'm a paint idiot, so follow me with much caution.

It works. I shoot paint from a gun, auto resto leftovers. Shot a frame with black epoxy primer, threw some purple and red pearl in clear and shot it.

Paint looked awesome..... other than the big run on the top tube, got anxious. Had to sand off and start over.

Latest posts

Back