Proflex Attack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall in vg condition. Missing seat post, mismatch qr skewers. elastomers rotted and prettified but not melted all over. That's a bonus as melted elastomers are royal pita to clean up. It had a insight/schwinn trailer hitch so it probably never saw dirt. Just daddy duty towing a child. Front RockShox fork (no model name) seems okay. The sticker on the frame says 14.5 inches but it measures 18.5 bb t top of seat tube. so too small for me. Replacement elastomers are $55 + s&h so Its worth fixing. I have box of those cheap frame spring/shocks from bsos. I wonder if one of those springs might fit. Probably need some sort of bushing to keep the spring centered.

Last edited:
Cool bike! I'm a fan of the STX group on there, but I would think about the Gripe shifters, I loathe those! Those mismatched skewers are a sign of the era, not much cooler back then, and nobody cares if they went with the paint or not. If they're branded, might be worth a few bucks. Even the straddle on the rear cantis looks like it's perfect, but there's always the anodized rabbit hole..
Great-Condition-Retro-Ringle-MoJo-Turquoise-Cantilever-Straddle.jpg

How is the RockShox functioning? Chances are that it is stuffed with similar elastomers, unless that's the Quadra which had air springs and oil damper. If you have that one, I would hesitate to take it apart, seals are nearly impossible to get. I know that there are generic products that can be found to replace elastomers, but I don't know if they exist in the size needed for the rear.

I have this other Proflex that I bought a few years ago and never did anything with it. I got it out of storage so I could tackle the repair on both bikes. Might save some shipping costs on parts.

1995 model year model 555. Similar elastomer rear suspension. Also missing the seat post. This one has a Girvin ATF fork. All aluminum, bolt together. Elastomer according to the catalog.

I set both bikes out for more photos. Sunny day, temps near 90F and within minutes the elastomers on both bikes started melting like ice cream. The 555 was in a storage unit for a couple years and the temps hit 100F here in the summer. but no prior melting. go figure. I scrambled to relocate the bikes to the shade and got them apart before they left a mess all over the bikes. A 5mm allen wrench and they come apart pretty easy. All the other bushings look good.

So looking on the web and at those provided links above, most solutions run $55 or more. urethane or silicon pads or custom springs.
Another factoid, Profex would change specs mid season so accurate measurements must be made.

rotted pads on the 555.

Girvin ATF fork on the 555

Rock Shox fork on the Attack, model unknown. model stickers pealed off? Seems to work fine.
The 1996 Proflex catalog says Quadra 5 fork.
Wiki says Quadra 5 is elastomer.
The patent number on the fork is for coil spring with valved oil dampening.
Other photos on the www show the same fork as mine. Grey Rock Shox with no model label.
The stanchions measure 25.4mm (1 inch).
The patent number is for a coil spring with oil bath & valve dampening design but no mention of model name.
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/4971344.pdf

Proflex Proflex

I'm melting you wicked girl

Rats, cracked one of the spacers just wiping it clean

1995 555 spacing is just under 3"

1996 Attack spacing is just under 3"

Last edited:
Overall in vg condition. Missing seat post, mismatch qr skewers. elastomers rotted and prettified but not melted all over. That's a bonus as melted elastomers are royal pita to clean up. It had a insight/schwinn trailer hitch so it probably never saw dirt. Just daddy duty towing a child. Front RockShox fork (no model name) seems okay. The sticker on the frame says 14.5 inches but it measures 18.5 bb t top of seat tube. so too small for me. Replacement elastomers are $55 + s&h so Its worth fixing. I have box of those cheap frame spring/shocks from bsos. I wonder if one of those springs might fit. Probably need some sort of bushing to keep the spring centered.

Check out old shovel on YouTube he does a restoration of one of these Pro flexes and he picked up elastomers from somewhere also there is a company on eBay that sells a spring kit for these

Latest posts

Back