Project bad knees. Mobo class 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20181211_231045.jpg
20181211_231815.jpg

Cleaned up some other stuff too, whoever painted this frame did a terrible job and painted over dirt and grease so some of the paint just peeled off during scrubbing. But I'm ready too start down the road too reassembly.
20181211_231107.jpg
hopefully get some parts in this week. Clean some more stuff and do the paint next week when I return too a heated garage

Might not even belong here but it started as prep for this bike. Since I'm lift restricted I've been cleaning stuff. Decided to start cleaning out drawers that look like this.
20181214_104515.jpg

So I went shopping for a safer cleaner to use then gas since this is my basement. Purple power too the rescue
20181214_104524.jpg

After 24 hrs they come out better then I expected. Finally a way too save some quality bearings
20181214_104736.jpg

I kind of nerded out over finding the scwhinn and other USA made bearing labeling on some of them.

20181217_140307.jpg
got the last big part, now I'm waiting until I can get too work and paint some things.

At this point I have a few quick questions too anyone that reads this. I'm possibly planning to use an old hub instead of my usually slap a new wheelset on it. I have a bendix red band, a musselman, and a new departure model D available. What would you go with? The model D came on this bike but I'm not sure the wheel is original since its wearing this tire.
20181217_141209.jpg

Don't scwhinn wheels usually take a speciality tire?

Don't scwhinn wheels usually take a speciality tire?

Some of them. The middle weight bikes had S7 wheels which take a tire that has the width designated as a fraction (1 3/4) These are the specialty sized Schwinn tires only rims.

Balloon tire bikes have S2 rims which take tires designated with a decimal (2.125) and can use any 26 inch tire.

That looks like it could be a Schwinn rim. Look it over for any stampings. Should say Schwinn on it if it's a Schwinn wheel.

I'll check it out, the bikes a middleweight but the rear tire that came on it is a 2.125. I'll just have to dig off some crust and see what I find.

I'll check it out, the bikes a middleweight but the rear tire that came on it is a 2.125. I'll just have to dig off some crust and see what I find.
Then you probably have a Schwinn S2 rim, which is compatible with the metric tires as Chad pointed out. Your tire selection will be much greater with an S2 rim as well. And the tires you have look pretty cool!

Decimal, not metric :grin:
Technically, the word 'metric' is French for 'measure'. The metric system is a decimal system, based on multiples of ten. As opposed to a tire that is labeled 26 x 1 3/4 (what we commonly call English, known as the Imperial system) a metric or decimal indication would be 26 x 1.75. We are talking about the same system, even though most people only think of metric as a term for measuring using the meter, liter, or gram. They are both decimal based, not fractional like the Imperial system.

:grin:

It's actually E.T.R.T.O. But why be picky about details. And I'm sure Ignaz Schwinn is rolling over in his grave with the 'oddball' designation you have given him. ;)

:thumbsup:

It's actually E.T.R.T.O. But why be picky about details. And I'm sure Ignaz Schwinn is rolling over in his grave with the 'oddball' designation you have given him. ;)

:thumbsup:
I'm just mad cuz the only 24 X 1 3/8 S-5 tire you can get for a reasonable price anymore is a standard boring Kenda street tread.

(yes I know you can find them on eBay. NO WAY am I spending 200 bucks on an original Schwinn Slik that I'm gonna ride on and wear out.)

Turns out that rim and tire combo came off my monark, I found the scwhinn rim in the scrap pile. But I know the tire difference now lol.

Turns out that rim and tire combo came off my monark, I found the scwhinn rim in the scrap pile. But I know the tire difference now lol.
And, again, this is 'RAT ROD' bikes, so you can use whatever parts you want to!

And after an MRI I now have too consult with a back surgeon so there's very little chance this will be done in time. I'll eventually finish it.

Latest posts

Back