Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you can make a V-RROOMelette!

And if you order in the next 10 minutes. You can get TWO omelette pans for the price of one....Just pay separate shipping and handling...Call now, operators are waiting.

I hope you continue with this build. Because no matter what build you do, It's going to come right down to the last second.

...Post it up if you start fiddling with it. We'll take as much TRM tinkering as we can get..:)
OK Chad, this was option #2. The tires were the one questionable part not knowing if they would squeeze into the frame. They did fit, but just barely! I was still faced with having to true the wheels to near perfection to prevent rubbing.
101_3586.jpg

Had I chose to build this one, I was going to go with a board track theme and also make a tank for it. I was confident that I could pull it off in three weeks. If in the end Chris still don't make the finish line as a ridable bike, I'll build this one up but without the tank. The three week window was for allowing time to whittle out the tank and faux finishing it. Without out it, I can finish it in a day.

OK Chad, this was option #2. The tires were the one questionable part not knowing if they would squeeze into the frame. They did fit, but just barely! I was still faced with having to true the wheels to near perfection to prevent rubbing.
View attachment 56483

Had I chose to build this one, I was going to go with a board track theme and also make a tank for it. I was confident that I could pull it off in three weeks. If in the end Chris still don't make the finish line as a ridable bike, I'll build this one up but without the tank. The three week window was for allowing time to whittle out the tank and faux finishing it. Without out it, I can finish it in a day.
Columbia fork....frame as well? And those tires are meaty! Brand / size? I can definitely see this parked on your lane in an early morning mist for a Final pic....

Ok I wanna see this one now! Make a run for the win with it. Could use the Christy saddle maybe even?

Still want to see the rest of Chris built but you could make this other one a contender I'll bet.

Last edited:
Columbia fork....frame as well? And those tires are meaty! Brand / size?
Yes, Columbia 'GoodYear' bike and fork.
The tires are off of a Schwinn Aerovane. It's the same tires that are on @American Vintage Bicycle Supply 's Project Ed.
Ok I wanna see this one now! Make a run for the win with it. Could use the Christy saddle maybe even?
Still want to see the rest of Chris built but you could make this other one a contender I'll bet.
I'll probably finish it after the build-off.

Been working on mounting the Christy. Got a 90 Degree EMT Elbow and cut it in half for the rear supports.
101_3607.JPG

Held it next to the frame and marked the position.
101_3608.JPG

Back to the cereal box patterns to determine how to cut the conduit.
101_3610.JPG

Then the pattern was placed over the conduit and marked.

101_3609.JPG

Each side slopes in as the seat stays get narrower toward the top. I marked the offset angle of the centerline to determine how the pattern would fit.

101_3612.JPG

Remarkably the cut was just right on the first pass. It fit snug enough that it holds itself in place without a clamp!

101_3611.JPG

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Not sure I trust EMT on a bike, but I think I like where you're heading.
Should be OK, the force will push down the tube.

Got some welding done.
I made a mounting point out of an old stem and a piece of angle iron. Not sure how it will all connect yet, but at least now I've got something to work with. Also welded in some 5/16 nuts in the ends of the tubes.

101_3614.jpg
101_3616.jpg

Now I just have to connect the dots!

Yep, one of my guesses was correct! I sense something along these lines in the works....
suspost1.jpg

And after a severe race in the late '90s I purchased this titanium Tamer Pivot Plus post. Saved my back until I went full suspension about 3 years ago. Best mtb suspension post on the market! Hydraulic piston!
tamerpost.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back