Project Nieves

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Better late than never, We're in.
Here at my place, my son and I are fans of the JDM cars and late models slammed on the ground. Those are the inspirations for Project Nieves.
Stuff like this:
nissan-gt-r-drift-car-with-exposed-rear-mounted-turbos-rendered-should-happen-104936_1.jpg
Muscle_Boss429_3.jpg

Johngot_bikes went to work stripping the frame of paint, full protective gear in place.
IMG_20210621_204313.jpg

We thought a rendering of our design might help direct the project, so we cut & pasted ......old school.
IMG_20210621_212306.jpg

Then it was on to mounting the new tires, the idea being the tire should spread-out in width, but limit the growth in height. Determined 1\3 the circumference at 57 meters marked and drilled 2 additional holes on the outer surfaces of the rim.
IMG_20210621_205035_kindlephoto-29215575.jpg

We're trying 3 inner tubes, 26 x 2.3 in the center, not sure exactly what size the outer edge tubes are. Got those inserted & the new tire mounted, Will get to deflating and shifting around the tubes so the inlets are straight and the tires sit better on the bead. Overall not bad.
IMG_20210621_204402.jpg

Welcome to the build off fun! Great to see you and your son working together on this build.

That 'triple tube ' idea I've never seen before. Just curious what your theory is behind it? I get your idea to have a flatter profile tire, like your car inspirations. Are you hoping to push out on the sides with the two outer tubes, and keep the center one at lower psi?

Welcome to the build off fun! Great to see you and your son working together on this build.

That 'triple tube ' idea I've never seen before. Just curious what your theory is behind it? I get your idea to have a flatter profile tire, like your car inspirations. Are you hoping to push out on the sides with the two outer tubes, and keep the center one at lower psi?
I'm guessing to spread the air across the 10cm rims... He will never have a flat, not a bad idea...

Hey OddJob,
Good question & thanks for the interest. It's pretty simple I tried the tire w/ a 26 x 4 inner tube, it was ok.
Then I stuck 2 inner tubes, 26 x 2.125 in the tire and wrapped that mess w/ duct tape, inflated those it was better, except the fill tubes. Using 2 holes in the rim , 1 existing is in the middle of the barrel, seemed that centering another fill tube opposite the first meant the tubes would criss-cross and inflate the tire out of round. That's the theory, anyways. The fill tubes stay perpendicular and the tubes don't stack on each other.
Stay tuned, there will be worser and less thought out ideas soon!

Right On!! Another Chicago TailDragger in the Build Off. Drawing looks fantastic! Love the colors can’t wait to seat the seat all upholstered.​
Right On, back at ya! Colors still to determined, only had 3 crayons for the rendering.

A couple years ago, onewheelsqueel passed this idea along to me. When the kid out grows the little string -ray chopper, hang on to the triple tree front end. OWS had fitted one to a vintage frame with a 26" wheel and it is cool. I've seen other folks use these too. Credit given.
IMG_20210623_215930.jpg

An ordinary 26 should fit, but ours will need some modifications.
IMG_20210623_215218.jpg

The width of the axle is 5.125 inches and the fork inside dimension is about 3 3/4 inch. So we're gonna chop that up and widen it to fit the 100 Newton/metre or 4" rim.

IMG_20210623_220101.jpg

The other mod, while it's cut into pieces is to move the bar mounts rearward. For now it's back to removing paint.
IMG_20210623_220203_kindlephoto-170490741.jpg

Last edited:
Started a layout for the frame, made a template that allows me to move stuff around, get an idea of where things need to go.
IMG_20210629_192648.jpg

I would like to keep the head tube more vertical, so the steering is more sporty. At this angle, we would need more stretch in the handlebars.
IMG_20210629_192830.jpg
At this fork angle, we could use shorter handlebars, we'll work something out once the frame gets cut up. Paint stripping continues, made progress on the triple trees.
IMG_20210629_193709.jpg

All chopped, into pieces,
IMG_20210629_194714.jpg

Going to add 1.375 inch wide piece, that will get the fork tubes apart far enough to fit the tire.

Started a layout for the frame, made a template that allows me to move stuff around, get an idea of where things need to go.View attachment 163036
I would like to keep the head tube more vertical, so the steering is more sporty. At this angle, we would need more stretch in the handlebars.
View attachment 163041At this fork angle, we could use shorter handlebars, we'll work something out once the frame gets cut up. Paint stripping continues, made progress on the triple trees.
View attachment 163042
All chopped, into pieces,View attachment 163043
Going to add 1.375 inch wide piece, that will get the fork tubes apart far enough to fit the tire.
WOW!!
Totally digging the template with moveable body parts!!!

Great to see a father son team, and CTD to boot!
I'm digging the work you guys are putting into this layout so far!
Fun and cool build!

IMG_20210720_093642.jpg

Progress on the triple tree, cut added metal, welded, ground, reworded, more fitting and finishing to do. Paint removal mostly finished, Cut the head tube down to fit the steer tube, still more filing & fettling to tube ends square to the tube.
IMG_20210621_204900_kindlephoto-29260640.jpg

Now, time to go after the frame with the sawzall.
IMG_20210720_093654.jpg
IMG_20210720_093713.jpg

Took the grinder to the original fork, after a couple hours ended up with nicely curved, joined tubes that will make up part of the top tube.

Any more progress?
TicToc 3 weeks to go.

Latest posts

Back