Proud Mary - A throwback Huffman ratrod bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't really worried about the vintage of my frame, but did note that the serial number is stamped into the integrated seat post clamp. Haven't gone back and verified the number, but it seems like this location was only stamped on frames manufactured in '49 and '50.

Basically, a little web searching verified that it's old.

First thing, right off the bat, I will tell you that I checked the serial number, and this frame was indeed manufactured in 1949.

I should also tell you this: trying to use a cottered crankset (or at least this one) isn't going to work. It's a good 1/2" too narrow, and won't clear the non-drive side chainstay. I might be able to source a longer spindle, but one of the reasons that I was gung-ho about using them in the first place is that I found/bought a sealed cartridge BB for cottered cranks.
IMG_20220521_140049.jpg

Anyway, for the time being, I started reassembly with some Praxis cranks that I had in the parts pile, and I am trying some different handlebars today.

Quick note: there is one, and ONE position in which the battom bracket adapter can be clocked and successfully clear all of the tubing ends that protrude into the bottom bracket shell on this bike. (See last two photos)
IMG_20220521_134559.jpg
IMG_20220521_134633.jpg
IMG_20220521_134609.jpg
IMG_20220521_134621.jpg
IMG_20220521_134824.jpg
IMG_20220521_134838.jpg

Last edited:
I just went through the same crank fitting blues on my build so I know the pain. The cottered cranks are ultra cool, shame they won't work. I'd do a build just around them.

A pair of half moon bars would look sweet on there; they'd carry the fat tire look upstairs

I'm going to run with the alloy Touriste bars for now, I think. They're narrow enough to look a little racey, and seem to put me in a good riding position.View attachment 194344
It's a great looking combo just as pictured

FWIW, I had the exact same issue with the bottom bracket adapter on last year's build off bike. Could only get one clocked position that cleared all of the encroaching tube ends. And even then it just barely squeezed through. Wound up not using it because of spacing issues

I may just go to a OPC setup. If I do, then I feel like I should work on some kind of chain guard solution.
It's a great looking combo just as pictured

FWIW, I had the exact same issue with the bottom bracket adapter on last year's build off bike. Could only get one clocked position that cleared all of the encroaching tube ends. And even then it just barely squeezed through. Wound up not using it because of spacing issues
[/QUOTE
The good thing about a possible change to a one piece crank is that there's a set of repro teardrop pedals in my parts stash that might look kind of awesome on this bike.

I hadn't really worried about the vintage of my frame, but did note that the serial number is stamped into the integrated seat post clamp. Haven't gone back and verified the number, but it seems like this location was only stamped on frames manufactured in '49 and '50.

Basically, a little web searching verified that it's old.
I thought the serial no on the seatpost was a one year thing in 1951

how does the reversed fork perform?
So far, so good! Looks like I still have around an inch or so of trail, so easy to ride slow, and not a huge tendency to "flop". I think running 27.5ers helped with that, too.

Next thing will be mounting fenders. Probably going to do some grinding to the bottom of the fork crown with a stone to contour it to match the Fender's arc better, and give some extra tire clearance at the same time. Better safe than sorry, right?

You share the same name as the author of this book that I read recently:

weird.jpg

It's an interesting read for any SoCal denizens from that era.

Maybe if you have this build in that neighborhood, a pic from the corner of Laurel Canyon/Hollywood would be a cool addition to this thread. IIRC, there are some cool Hollywood Walk Stars on the S/E corner.

The alloy bars and bizarre springer are top notch.

What I'm getting is that the fender will be stationary and not move with the wheel?
That's my current plan, yes. I currently have the bike in my home office to noodle over this while I wait for some mounting hardware to arrive.

Latest posts

Back