qualifier

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Ukraine.jpg

Last edited:

Tallbikeman

RRB Supporter
Reaction score
Never saw this bike in the day. Very cool design. I like your addition of the older style suspension fork. It looks like when the solid fork was mounted that it had a sidepull front brake with the rear wheel having a center pull brake mounted under the chainstays. Any front brake planned for the suspension fork?

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride ❤️ 🚲
Reaction score
Such a cool ride..

These definitely look like they was built for climbing. An uphill bike long before downhill bikes existed.

I've never been a seat rider except for the uphills. It would be fun to ride this on a new of trails around here.

Will be cool to see where you take this build. Nice Bike!

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Reaction score
F1 BMX racing had a brief lifespan. Some F1 survivors have been configured as mini velos.
Informative link about F1 bikes and events. https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=556724&p=1
I've only seen pictures.

The Topanga is a off road example that was quite successful for the time.
topanga-1-jpg.174294

Being ratrodbikes, build offs are open for interpretation. Performance may not be the primary goal for some builds. I've certainly handicapped myself with a springer without rebound damping. It does function well enough for hard packed trails, but a handful over aggressive terrain even at moderate speeds having limited travel. In 4 months there could be a full modern suspension up front. 26'' MTB stanchions have been shortened for small wheels. A 26'' is too long for the Qualifier. Available MTB forks for 20'' wheels are pretty much junk. I'd rather stick with old springer for appearances if I can't have a quality fork. The bike does look fierce! Not as small as you might imagine. It's good enough for my usage. I'll hop on a 4-bar when needed, which is almost never where I ride.

Regarding brakes, it's going to be tricky. A brace for a caliper could be attached to the active leg because it rises/falls with the wheel, not something I'm keen on. Attaching a reaction arm to the rocker is another solution. I'm unsure what to do ATM. Need to ride the bike to know more.
Waaaaaaaaay outside the box but could you go disk? Integrate the caliper mount on the axle plate?

Tallbikeman

RRB Supporter
Reaction score
Victor Vicente of America, ie Michael Hiltner, a well regarded top end SoCal road racer from the 60's and 70's designed the Topanga MTB at a time, 1976, when only steel rims were available in 26". This dropped 4 to 5 lbs per bike just in wheel weight savings. I saw a 20" BMX single speed race bike at the first T n T Klunker race I went to in 1979 from North Tahoe to Truckee over the spine of the surrounding mountain. He kicked our butts uphill and disappeared backwards from the 26" wheeled crowd on the downhill. The 20" wheel could not keep up going downhill. The Topanga bikes were not designed with cantilever brakes. Victor took a SoCal points championship for off road racing in 1980 so he wasn't slow going downhill. I never saw another 20"wheel MTB attempt. in my 5 yr. MTB racing career.

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Reaction score
Important item on the way. Size is kinda rare for a suspension, got lucky. A Cane Creek shim won't work or look as well with an undersized seat tube. Hope there's no drama installing it. Unfortunately my spoke guy isn't taking orders ATM:(
View attachment 177877

Bars are from a 1990 Giant Chaos. The design screws with everyone visually. No one has ever told me they look cool, and I love that.
They're at MAX height for me relative to the bottom bracket though. I may reconsider trying others. They're straight, wide, light and funky.
Interesting detail. The knurling is straight band across for most bars but a few have half straight and half crosshatch:crazy2: Those can fetch a tidy sum.
View attachment 177883

@MattiThundrrr got me thinking two tone. Colored hubs would be a nice touch. I'm usually conservative regarding color schemes although I'm seeing lime green components, even the nipples against red and chrome.
Some of my favorite oddball BMX bars

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride ❤️ 🚲
Reaction score
That hulk doesn't look to bad. It depends how it looks on the bike.

I like that Selle Anatomica leather seat is cool. Pricy, but can see the appeal. I was wanting to re-skin with that old Sprint seat I've been taking from off road build to build forever.

Latest posts