Quest- Fat tire, Ballooner roadbikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love y'all thoughts on this. I want to make a fat tire roadbike, either like a 10 or 12 speed (or even a 1X5 or 1X6). Drop bars or bull horns. I'd love to see any y'all created, please post some pics! Seems like mid 80's Mountain bikes are the fastest fodder to start with, '85 being the sweet spot. But if you've done it to a 60's or earlier bike, derailleur, etc, I'd REALLY like to see it!

So far, I grabbed an 80's Marukin hand made 12-speed Japanese bike (w/ 27" wheels), and threw a 26X2.125 up front, and fell in love with the look, and I love the ride of fatties. But it will not work in these forks! (Rubs like heck!)

The other problem is this is the tallest bike I have ever seen and even me being 6-foot it is too tall for me, I'd be singing falsetto if I had to flat foot it. (But again I love the tall bike look with fatties! Oh well.)

Another problem is I want a biplane style fork rather than a unicrown, cause it looks more vintage. And finding one that will fit this almost 10 inch tall steer tube, and fat tires is hard!

IMG_3226.jpg

I guess there are a bunch of ways to skin this cat. I think I'd like a lugged frame however I slice it.

1. Get a vintage 10 or 12 speed roadbike with enough room in the rear for the 26X2.125 at least, probably needing spacers for chain line. And source a early style fork that is wide enough, from an earlier balloon bike. Keep drop bars.(This would be great especially with a fancy lugged frame like a 70's peugeot. But still a lot of fitment issues I'd imagine.)

2. Get a 84-85 or 86 early mountain bike, before they started using the unicrown fork style. Add fat road tires and drop bars and call it a day. (Fastest and cheapest route I think?)

3. Get a really old, straight frame balloon bike, get adapters to fit geared sprockets. Drill for derailleurs and figure out the brakes (drum or drill for calipers or braze for disk (or source early clamp on disk brake).) Add Drop (bull) bars. This is my favorite option, but the most expensive and time consuming.

4. Get a Surly! heck a Pugsly with drop bars! (Naw, not enough cash, and where is the adventure in that!)

So I am thinking of trading this Marukin in for something that is right where I need it to be, with a bar swap and a tire change. In 84-85-86 a bunch of companies were making ATBs (early mountain Bikes) with the non Unicrown forks. My LBS has a 85 Peugeot "City Bike" that could easily take 26X2.125 tires (I think an 'Orient Express" would be even better though), and has the correct (Non Unicrown) style fork. Some new fat whitwall, brick color etc. tires, that will probably fit on the stock rims, and drop bars and I'd be riding! The Miyata "Runner" bikes from the same era should also work as would the early Ross Mt. bikes (Mt. Hood etc, etc.) and many other '85ish makers.

Anyway, I'd love y'all's thoughts on this! Anyone done it?
Peugeot_1985_USA_Catalog_Page8_City.jpg

Peugeot_1985_USA_Catalog_Page10_Can.jpg

Fisch said:
Thanks MArkm! Great bike. So are you saying that 26X2.125 will fit on a stock Schwinn Varsity frame? No chain line issues? And you just had to run longer MTB brakes? Do you think that Fat Franks (26X2.35 I think) would fit too?
Ive had luck with the Varsitys,Travelers and Collegiates. If I remember correctly, I didnt even have to adjust the derailler, just switched out the brakes(shorter wheels)
This is the Traveler frame w/2.125's
100_1485-1.jpg

Varsity
100_0897.jpg

Havent tried anything wider than 2.125

Thanks guys! I'd be very curious if Fat Frank's would fit those schwinn's! Man I just turned down a varsity from my brother in law while on vacation too! (Couldn't fit it in the car. And don't think he really wanted to part with it either, he was being nice.)

The Amaro kills me. I had not seen that shot, but saw this one! I just LOVE the proportions of that bike! I'd love to chase something similar.
lollo1.jpg

Well I am back from the LBS. So lets do some math. (Not including tires which will be bought for any option.)

They will give me $60 bike trade in value for my giant Marukin pictured above. They want $180 for the Peugeot 'City Express' and it is in amazing shape, so it'd cost me $120 with my trade in. It already has non stock drop bars, which is great cause that is what I want, so to get the look I am after I'd just have to buy new tires and I'd be rolling.

Peugeot "Citi Bike"
TOTAL- $120 (w/ trade in)

Now it looks like the next cheapest option is the Schwinn Varsity's like y'all have above. But I think it would be more expensive than the Peugeot because I'd need to buy a new 26" wheel set +plus the tires, brakes, etc. Then I'd have to price a wheelset, maybe score one off a mountain bike? Here is an estimate.

Varsity= $50-$80 if I get lucky.
Wheels= $50-$120
Cluster (if needed)- $10-$20
MTB Brakes=$25-$40
TOTAL- $130-$260

Granted I could get lucky and find either bike cheaper if I am patient, but I am not that patient! I don't have a street bike currently, just a few projects. No big stockpile of parts on hand either. I need something cool to ride with minimal time invested.

I could also do this to a mountain bike, but was reminded at the store today that they generally have longer top tubes than roadbikes, which factors with drop bars a bit, and that I would probably need a new stem if I wanted to run drop bars. This Citybike is an inbetweener for sure!

Ideally I want to do this with an antique post war pre war frame more than anything, but lotsa cash, and more importantly, I know me, it would take lots of time for me to complete it.

I am going to Brimfield MA antique fair tomorrow (tons of bikes!) So I will see if any other options strike my fancy! But so far it is looking like the Peugeot if I want to get on the road sooner than later!

Latest posts

Back