Question about a 1970s Scwinn price.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it better to powdercoat a bike or paint, i.e. paint from Spray Bike?
Powder coating will always be the most durable, but also adds weight and thickness. Good for smoothing over welds and blending seams. Make sure your powder person knows their stuff and will mask all the bearing surfaces and threads or else you'll be grinding and tapping. Happened to me on my mountain bike in the EBB. Sucked removing it with MEK and scotch brite while trying to protect the other surfaces

I do hear good things about spray.bike though

How durable is the Sturmey 2 speed? Can it take a beating? I pedal hard quite a bit.
It can take pedaling hard, just not braking hard. They are a hassle to re-pack, compared to single speed coaster brake hubs. I have a first-gen S2C on my tallbike and the first run of them had an internal issue that SA took care of for subsequent runs and users of the first who contacted them about the malfunctioning hubs.

Make sure your powder person knows their stuff and will mask all the bearing surfaces and threads or else you'll be grinding and tapping.
Another point some powdercoaters may not pay heed to is excessive heat. Aluminum and high quality tubeset steel are highly suceptible to heat damage/weakening/warping from excessive heat that can be present in the powdercoating process.

Another point some powdercoaters may not pay heed to is excessive heat. Aluminum and high quality tubeset steel are highly suceptible to heat damage/weakening/warping from excessive heat that ban be present in the powdercoating process.
For sure

Another point some powdercoaters may not pay heed to is excessive heat. Aluminum and high quality tubeset steel are highly suceptible to heat damage/weakening/warping from excessive heat that can be present in the powdercoating process.
Thank you for the info on this. I think I'm going to play it safe and just paint the frame and fork.

Latest posts

Back