Question about a 1970s Scwinn price.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the bike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-154350_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-154350_OfferUp.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 184
Different areas have different values...and covid has messed up pricing considerably. For $250 for this era bike, I would expect a complete all original with somewhat serviceable paint/graphics. That bike has none of that. If I felt I had to have it, $100-125 tops.

If it was a Cruiser 5, Spitfire 5, or Klunker 5...value goes up quickly.

Typhoon Deluxe (deluxe version had chrome fenders and rims). Earlier non-deluxe verisons had painted rims and painted to match fenders.
The Typhoon was the base model of the middleweight line up and being the lowest priced, Schwinn sold the most of that model so they are the most commonly available now.
Wald stem and probably wald bars. Strange color on that fork.
i've owned quite a few. i don't think I've ever paid over $75.

Different areas have different values...and covid has messed up pricing considerably. For $250 for this era bike, I would expect a complete all original with somewhat serviceable paint/graphics. That bike has none of that. If I felt I had to have it, $100-125 tops.

If it was a Cruiser 5, Spitfire 5, or Klunker 5...value goes up quickly.
I've been keeping an eye out for an older steel Schwinn. Is this bike worth getting to turn into a klunker? Is $100-125 too much to spend for this bike?

It's perfect for a Strandie/Klunker/BMX Cruiser as it is just a collection of parts... you're not breaking up a nice original. What you need to work out, is what your end result is going to be. If you are going to add bars stem and tires...then a $100 bike like this may be a good idea. If you were going to go all out...you would probably be better off starting with just a frame for significantly less.

I know COVID had a way of driving prices up, but that’s excessive. I paid $25 for a Schwinn American in the same shape 2 years ago. Since then I’ve been picking up junked bikes for nothing. I just put the word out among family and friends that I’m looking for old bikes to play around with, I don’t care what shape they are. You’de be surprised at what turns up.

It depends a lot on your area...east of the Mississippi it seems that old bikes are everywhere for the taking...curbs, dumps, Goodwill's, neighbors, etc. Around here, I have to really put on the miles to find anything...I consider ~150mile radius as 'local'...and rarely find anything under 40miles away. Free is hardly ever the price, but I manage 'pretty cheap' fairly regularly :grin:.

Craigslist, offer up, EBay, Facebook marketplace, etc...you got to keep on top of all of them if you are in a (vintage) bike poor area.

It depends a lot on your area...east of the Mississippi it seems that old bikes are everywhere for the taking...curbs, dumps, Goodwill's, neighbors, etc

Truth.........my local recyclers is a treasure trove

Now you can cruise around and find a frame for your klunker! Maybe more than one good old Chicago made frame. In a couple months, a whole row of cool bikes!

In case you haven't figured it out yet, that's a 1996 Model.

I waited a few years to get mine, being picky about the colors offered until Y2K.

That frameset is highly versatile in that you can easily make it just about anything you want it to be due to the canti mounts and semi-horizontal dropouts.

Latest posts

Back