question about forks and headtube sizing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got ahold of my first vintage frame and fork (1952 schwinn dx) and I really want to build something out of it, thinking maybe a 24/20 wheel with a springer front end. the headtube is a 1.25" and all the springer forks I'm seeing or for 1" headtubes. Do they even make these or is there some kind of conversion kit I can get? This is my first build so everything is new to me!
Thanks guys and gals!

Edit: when I measure the outside diameter of the existing fork at the threads, it measures 1". Does that mean i really need is a 1" steerer tube fork then?
IMG_1387.jpg

Last edited:
So I got ahold of my first vintage frame and fork (1952 schwinn dx) and I really want to build something out of it, thinking maybe a 24/20 wheel with a springer front end. the headtube is a 1.25" and all the springer forks I'm seeing or for 1" headtubes. Do they even make these or is there some kind of conversion kit I can get? This is my first build so everything is new to me!
Thanks guys and gals!

Edit: when I measure the outside diameter of the existing fork at the threads, it measures 1". Does that mean i really need is a 1" steerer tube fork then?
View attachment 199888
That is a 1" head tube

awesome, thats great news. just for my own education- how can you tell? I measured the inside diameter of the headtube and it came out to 1.25" (totally could have read the calipers wrong). Do you generally determine it by the diameter of the fork steerer tube?

Latest posts

Back