Questions on Schwinn Rams Horn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm a Huffy guy and have come to know a lot more about them over Schwinns, so I went to buy a Huffy Super Stock from a guy that had all Scwinns in his collection except for this one Huffy. I saw he had this beautiful Schwinn Rams Horn there and I asked if it was for sale and long story short I came home with it also but I know nothing about them other than they are really cool looking. Best I can tell without taking the rear wheel off is a serial number SC42954, he said it was a 1968 that he restored about 15 years ago using mostly all original parts. The standard questions I have is: 1) Is it an actual Rams Horn, does it appear to be correct? 2) The tires don't seem right, did they come with white walls or raised white letter black walls? 3) Has rat trap? pedals, is that correct. 3) Is the seat correct? did they have black metal flake or striped with the Schwinn S? Thanks for any help.

Congratulations! Now you are on the slippery Schwinn slope ha!

The serial numbers are the first letter is the month, the second letter is the year, starting with A in 1965 (there is slightly more to the serial numbers but for now let's go with that). So the C makes the bike a 1967. The first letter can't be S though, take another look and see if it could be B?

The good and bad thing with Schwinn frames is that you can't tell what the bike was originally by the serial number. So it is a Fastback frame, but was it a Rams Horn or plain Fastback? You can't tell. It is fine restored as a Rams Horn though, because again, you don't know what it was originally.

For your other questions, here's some answers:

1. All Fastbacks had blackwall tires stock. Slick in the back, linear type tread in the front. The reason your bike has whitewalls is because of the Liz Fried Schwinn Sting-Rays book. There is a black Fastback in the book, and it has whitewalls added to it. Since that book has been published, people love whitewalls on black Fastbacks and Rams Horn Fastbacks.

2. Rams Horn Fastbacks did have rat trap Schwinn pedals stock. Post a picture of the pedals and I can tell you if they are the right kind of rat traps.

3. That seat isn't correct for the bike, for a 1967 Fastback the seat would not have the mylar lines. All Schwinn Fastbacks until 1969 had silver glitter seats, then seats that were the same color of the bike. They did not come boxed with any other seat, but Schwinn did offer accessory seats in the 60's, both charcoal glitter and silver glitter with a black stripe that you could have bought to add to the bike.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Yeah Rob I hope I haven't fallen down the rabbit hole. I still like the lines on Huffy better!
Thanks for all that information, I don't like the looks of white walls on muscle bikes anyway. I'm thinking the banana seat thats silver metallic with a black stripe would look good. Here are the pedals he had on the bike, he called them rat traps but said he removed the reflectors from them.

Nice OldSchool.....how about a close up of the tires you got? Tread and sidewall markings...
Are they Schwinn tires?
Good looking bike there anyway.

The rat trap pedals are not correct. The slots on the end should be at a slight angle. As far as the seat, the 67 Ramshorn had a silver glow deep tufted then in mid to late 67 Schwinn went to the harder tufted seat. In 1968 the correct seat is a white sparkle with the mylar stripes. I will post some pictures of the correct pedals and seat.

Yes, what he said! 67Ramshorn has lots of Fastbacks, he'll let you know all you need.

Those pedals aren't the right ones, they slots on the ends are angled. But, they work and look the same, so I would use them until you find a set that are the correct vintage. I think those are mid to late 70's 10-Speed pedals that had reflectors when new (which is why he had to remove them).

Nice OldSchool.....how about a close up of the tires you got? Tread and sidewall markings...
Are they Schwinn tires?
Good looking bike there anyway.
Here are the pictures you asked for , sides and treads of the front and back. They are both in very nice condition, appear to be NOS.

Latest posts

Back