Quick inexpensive re paint on schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all. I do a lot of bicycle repainting and most times use automotive paint and clear. But this ties up the paint booth all day and I gotta do all the parts at once to save on paint and cleanup. I've been experimenting with poof can methods to see what offers the best results.

Paint stripper to loosen the old up

Sand the paint debris off to bare metal with 80on the tough spots. Then 180 then 220

Forgot the etch prime pic and filler prime pic. ... sand primer with 600 (automotive world I use 320 and seal over top then apply color) I noticed 320 to show back thru the spray paint. I use flat or satin as it dries quicker and tape time is sooner.
In this pic I applied brown for a pinstripe. Allowed to dry then used fine line tape to mask my stripe.

applied white and removed the tape.

Allowed to dry.... Ran to the store. .. Made dinner. ..etc. then back taped with vinyl fine line, there's a white colored tape too but it does not make corners worth a darn and can't be stretched.

paint the brown and remove tape while still wet with exacto knife to lift the corner and tweezers to pull! The paint edge will drop and there will be less of a ridge. . I do touch up a little with pinstriping brush. Also added the white licks to the vents with the brush. Then add compatible poof can clear.

Allowed to dry and added some spare water transfer decals I had laying around for ten years. Decals I dip in a flat pan of warm water for about 30sec. Set on paper towel for 15sec. Dip again and slightly move it from the water surface to the bottom and watch for decal to lift. I get a bubble under the decal and move it all the way across, letting the starting point stick back to the paper backing, to ensure the entire decal will slide off. Not doing this I have folded and torn decals. Move about a quarter inch ofthe decal off the backing and place where you would like. Hold the quarter inchsection and slowly slide the backing out. Using paper towel I work out any bubbles and monitor for 15 minutes as some more like to show up.
for enough to do this whole bike I'll have $24 in color and clear. Around $30 in stripper, sand paper., some filler on a few little dings, and primers. Way better than the $200 it takes to do with automotive paint. Yes, not as durable but can be done in the garage between the honey do list items.

Last edited:
sweet. Thanks for posting. Someday I'm going to have to do a restoration, rather than a rat patina build.

Latest posts

Back