"Quick" L.E.D. Headlight Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tinkering with my '57 Schwinn straight bar...I wanted to have a working headlight for some up-coming rides. So I had this one on hand, and this flashlight that I had gotten for Christmas:

IMG_1430.jpg

Looks like the LEDs will fit...
IMG_1431.jpg

So here we go:

Blow everything up:

IMG_1437.jpg

The LED bundle:

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Since I was installing a switch too, I decided to alter the way it operated. I removed the spring and soldered on some wire leads:

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

After I was satisfied that they would fit, I mounted the bundle in the reflector by setting it in a bed of 100% silicone. Now the hard part...Waiting for the silicone to set: :roll:

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

So in the mean time, I set about installing the new switch:

IMG_1446.jpg

I decided to use the hole where the generator power wire hooked up. So I drilled it out to fit the switch:

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

After the silicone set up enough to be handled, I tried it out:

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Nice... 8)

OK. Re-assembly:

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

Cool...

Then I put leads on the switch, and on the battery holder and hooked it all up:

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

Now I did run into a snag soldering one of the leads on the battery pack. the solder just would not stick! :x :x But I worked it out by using some plumbing flux. Now I hope it all fits inside there!

IMG_1464.jpg

Well after a bit of creative stuffing it all went in and it works! :lol:

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

Alright...Let's get it on the bike!

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

And there you have it! Next I'm gonna do a tail light...This is what I looks like about 8' from the garage door. It really lights up the road and street signs. Good luck with yours! :mrgreen:

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

I've got headlight identical to that I might try that on. looks good.

Something was missing and I couldn't figure it out until I looked again. Your pin up calendar doesn't have a calendar on it! :D

May calender is there, just very small and faded in the pic. I guess there are more important things taking up most of the room :D

harquahalas said:
Very Nice! This is something I'd like to do, unless I can get LED bulbs that fit my current lights without any mods.
You should be able to find any size you need:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=led+lights&_sacat=See-All-Categories

harquahalas said:
May calender is there, just very small and faded in the pic. I guess there are more important things taking up most of the room :D
I thought you guys would get a kick outta that! :lol: :lol:

That looks real nice R I like the off look better than mine where i extended it (LED) out in the lens it looks funny off.

Latest posts

Back