~@@~ R.E.D.~@@~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
R.E.D. stands for Revived Elgin Deluxe. OK, so my original build went awry as I just couldn't locate the parts I needed, but fear not with the plethora of swap meets coming i should have no problem locating what I need. With that said, i wanted to enter something and while it is not a true to the definition "Rat Rod Bike" it is what deem to be a "Traditional Rod Bike" Given it's heritage, 1929 from my limited research - and I learned a lot more about Elgin's than I thought I would - this ride serves as a great basis for my project. I burned the midnight oil getting this done.

I traveled 430 miles round trip on Wednesday up to Freeport, ME to pick it up and then I started the furious work bright and early Thursday morning. It was stripped to the frame and the frame was painstakingly wet sanded with 800 grit wet sand using PB Blaster as a lubricant. This was done to restore the paint as best as I could while removing the many years of grime and age. When completed it had a beautiful satin sheen while still maintaining it's birthday suit.

With the frame done, I turned to getting the rolling stock together. Not terribly difficult since these wheels in creme powdercoat and ND wartime Blackout hubs were laced and waiting for assignment. I get them mounted only to find out the hubs don't spin! Back out they come. Whoever rebuilt the rear installed them incorrectly and they greased the plates instead of oiling them. Note to ND rebuilders - grease bearings, oil plates. Once that was corrected, back on they go. Axle nuts tightened and what? still won't turn! Back out it comes. Turns out the axle bearing cone was worn thru the hardened layer. Good thing i had an extra sitting on the floor! Back together and we are in business!

Crank and bearing were replaced not too long before this bike sat so they were tight and in great shape. Clean and regrease and good to go! Front fork taken apart and cleaned and regreased. Front wheel mounted with a companion 26 x 2.125 tire and now what happens? NO clearance for a balloon tire! Well, off to the tire barn! I find this AWESOME 26 x 1.75 Firestone Speed Cushion tire! OOOoOOoO nice sidewall and YES, we have Clearance Clarence@! Mounted and now what to do about the fenders? My original plan was no fenders, but the OE wheels were 28ers, not it was rolling on 26ers. Looks kinda funny. So I am outside at 1 AM wet sanding the fenders annd then straightening them out. Lots of little dings and slightly bent braces to iron out. Wheels back off, fenders on and away we go! End Day1

Today I woke up and went out to the parts washer (old tupperware container with mineral spirits) where my chain was sitting during my short sleep period. Out it came and was wire brushed back to new! Almost there. I bought a chainguard very similar to the one on my other Elgin and took about 2 hours stripping the paint, sanding it, polishing the metal, go to put it on and whats this? The crank won't clear it! I go look at my other Elgin and lo and behold it has a dog leg crank and this one does not. Another clue as to it's vintage! With that time wasted i turned my attention to the handle bars where the stem was slightly bent, that fixed easily in the frame of another bike. These original stems are very short and i needed alot of leverage to make it happen. Once on i needed a light and this Seiss was on the shelf along with a very cool over the stem mounting bracket i had. Bolted right up and there we have it! A set of NOS red glass jeweled grips and i will take it out on it's maiden voyage tomorrow.

While i am sure i spent a lot less time on this than many of you did as evidenced buy all the outstanding builds, i enjoyed the pressure of getting it done in just 48 short hours.

Enjoy!
Joe

RBBOElgin1.jpg

RBBOElgin2.jpg

RBBOElgin3.jpg

RBBOElgin4.jpg

RBBOElgin5.jpg

RBBOElgin6.jpg

RBBOElgin7.jpg

RBBOElgin8.jpg

RBBOElgin9.jpg

RBBOElgin10.jpg

I would but it's dark and yes.... still raining! We set an all time mark for rain in July today during th e morning rain storms. It quit for a couple of hours and then we got hosed again this evening! I was gonna build and ark instead of a bike for this RRBBO! HA HA HA :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Looks awesome Joe...now take some photos of that bad boy outside! :wink:

Ha Ha...I can sort of relate...it's been raining all week up here too.

I wasn't sure if I'd get photos or not and then we had some sun this morning.

Man, that is sweet Joe. Nice companion to the blue Elgin you already have.

If you come out Thursday night, you should bring that.

Dan

Just finished reading your novel there :lol:

This one looks really great, can't wait to see it in person. I think it's awesome that if you're building something, and you need a special part or tire, all you have to do is turn around and there it is. Your basement is a wonderland!

:)

JoeyMac - If you read this and you thought the other Elgin rode smooth, wait til you take this one for a spin. it is effortless, smooth and there is not a rattle or clank when you ride it. Gonna go for java first thing in the morning and give it a more thorough sorting out.

Note to self though - check tire pressure often, must have a bad tube!

Joe

Latest posts

Back