Rad Rot Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PICK MY RAD ROT BIKE 2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I'm itching to jump in to the build off but with only 48 days left I know (and have known from the start) that I can't build the custom Shelby that I want.

So that got me to thinking.:39:
I have several bikes that are very 'Rad' but have a lot of 'Rot" and have been lingering in the "I'll get to it some day" list. This may be the right motivation to do a simple build that will take one of them from rotting to riding!

The idea is to build a traditional rat style bike, namely, no minutiae. Most of my builds in the past have kept my head racing with custom modifications but I simply don't have the time for it right now. I'm still very busy with work but I'm hoping to fit in an hour here and there to get a bike over the finish line. (Fingers crossed).

I narrowed it down to three crusty but worthy candidates.

To make things more interesting I've decided to let everyone else choose which bike will get built!

PICK YOUR FAVORITE AND VOTE!!!
Voting will last for six days. You get one vote but will retain the option to change your vote up until the polls close.
(Mail in votes must be post marked before 9:00 Eastern Time Monday night.)
:blackeye:

1) Western Flyer Super (I have a tank for it)
100_7367.JPG

2) Schwinn Phantom
100_6951.JPG

3) Western Flyer X-53
100_6119.JPG

Last edited:
Yes yes yes! So glad to see you jump in Jim!
My pick is the X53. I think I remember a WF Super you did before, and I am just not a fan of Schwinn cantis (even Phantoms). Regardless of which bike you pick, I know it's gonna be a fun ride to watch.

X-53 all the way I would go crazy just painting that thing so much tin on it beautiful .
Wish I had your problems deciding all three are very nice .

Thanks everyone for voting and commenting. Keep 'em coming!

X-53 all the way I would go crazy just painting that thing so much tin on it beautiful .
No time for painting on any of these. I'll be leaving the natural patina!

I think I remember a WF Super you did before

I checked the box for the Western Flyer Super. Don't think I've seen one of those before.
I color matched and 'aged' the paint on a rechromed tank for @American Vintage Bicycle Supply several years ago. It was a very nice original Western Flyer Super!
1.jpg

Cantilevers are so two weeks ago.
Guess I shouldn't have waited so long to enter. Cantilevers were probably ground breaking two months ago! :21:

Feel free to send that Phantom my way. I'll properly dispose of it for you. What an eyesore ;)
It would cost more in shipping than it's worth. Probably worth more in scrap metal. Cheap Chicago made junk. :chicken:

Are you keeping it rat or are you doing a full blown resto?
It'll be a full blown RAT! :thumbsup:

You should have enough time, but just do a little work each day to keep moving forward. I didn't jump into BO14 with Western Sizzler until there were 46 days left. You should morph all three choices together and build a Western Schwinner X-53 Super Phantom!!!!

It's not minutiae it's details.....we love to see the details...:cool:.
Me too, but some details take a lot of time. And a lot of time is what I don't have!
You should morph all three choices together and build a Western Schwinner X-53 Super Phantom!!!!
Has a nice ring to it! :bigsmile:

But you left one off...
Western Schwinner X-53 Super Phantom Flyer! :thumbsup:

Just three days left to vote!

I'm finishing up a big project this weekend that has been consuming most of my time but like train cars the next ones just keep coming. However I'm looking forward to some stress relief from messing with one of the Rad Rots.

While I'm waiting to find out which bike it will be, I've used the time to let some PB Blaster do its thing on the front runners.

I can't remember if I've shared this little life hack before. but here's one for using PB:
Afew years back I used up all of the aerosol but there was still a good bit of PB still sloshing around in the can. So I drilled a hole in the top, drainded it and filled an empty Tri-Flow bottle with it and discovered that it worked exceedingly better than the spray can! I've been using that way ever since then. You can pin point exactly where you want it to go without spraying it all over everything else. :)

PB Blaster.JPG

Latest posts

Back