Rad Rot Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PICK MY RAD ROT BIKE 2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're supposed to ride the bike not take it for a ride!...:21:...looking forward to the pix...:nerd:
LOL, no time for a 12 mile round trip on the shoulder of a major highway just to take some pictures!

luuuuuvvvvveeerrrrlllyyy!

What did you spray the lettering on the tires with?
I used Plasti Dip rubber coating spray paint. I'm not sure if it was the best choice though. I didn't have time to test it and I'm not sure how durable it will be. The label states that it can be removed, so time will tell if it will eventually 'remove' itself.
100_7764.JPG

Last edited:
Fantastic. I’m a big fan of the X53. This is really a sweet little hot rod. How tight was the rear tire? Or did have to clearance? I am always battling that on these frames. I couldn’t find that in your build post.

Fantastic. I’m a big fan of the X53. This is really a sweet little hot rod. How tight was the rear tire? Or did have to clearance? I am always battling that on these frames. I couldn’t find that in your build post.
Thanks. At first I had planned to use a set of Schwinn Aerovane 26x3 tires. I did clearance the frame for them but quickly gave up the idea because after I modyfied the frame and mounted them, they rubbed the fender on top and the side next to the chain. The tires on it now are 26x2.35 and look to have had enough room without opening the chain stays up but I can't really be sure about that at this point.

This was the width of the 3" tire with the frame.
IMG_3283.JPG

Here's the 3" Aerovane tire on the left compared to the 2.35 Deli tire on the right. The rotten tires that were on the bike are on top.
IMG_3301.JPG

Sorry, but I didn't take any other pictures of the frame after I abondoned the 3" tires. But I do think the 2.35s would probably work without modifying the frame.

Thanks. At first I had planned to use a set of Schwinn Aerovane 26x3 tires. I did clearance the frame for them but quickly gave up the idea because after I modyfied the frame and mounted them, they rubbed the fender on top and the side next to the chain. The tires on it now are 26x2.35 and look to have had enough room without opening the chain stays up but I can't really be sure about that at this point.

This was the width of the 3" tire with the frame.
View attachment 172297

Here's the 3" Aerovane tire on the left compared to the 2.35 Deli tire on the right. The rotten tires that were on the bike are on top.
View attachment 172298

Sorry, but I didn't take any other pictures of the frame after I abondoned the 3" tires. But I do think the 2.35s would probably work without modifying the frame.
Thank you for the insight. Appreciate it. Best of luck with the build, enjoy!

This was a really fun thread to follow. Had all the classic TRM elements but a little more laid back. You were able to spin the removal of rusted parts into a riveting tale that had me on the edge of my seat and the mystery ornament was a tough case to crack. Good stuff.

Bike looks really cool and I think those tires are plenty beefy. And you actually did a boys bike this time!..;)...nice job..:thumbsup:

I know you used those 3" Aerovane tires on a past build (a cruiser with a one-off tank you made, I think?), but are they still available anywhere?

I know you used those 3" Aerovane tires on a past build (a cruiser with a one-off tank you made, I think?), but are they still available anywhere?
The only way I've been able to get them has been to buy an Aerovane bike just for the tires. I've bought two so far and would buy again if I run across another one. I wish who ever owns the molds would produce them for after market sales!

This is the bike that you remember; it was from the build off several years ago.
06-1111-trm-jpg.59240

I've still never ran across an Aerovane in the wild. I see the frame, but with different tires. I would love to even have just one of those tires to go with one of my Felt Zig Zags in the rear.

Thanks to the 16 out of 29 people that voted for the X53 out of the three RadRotBikes back at the end of July. (I wonder how things would have played out had it not won!) And a big thank you to the 70 out of 144 That voted for the RadRod X53 in the end!

I'm thrilled to place second after deciding to jump in so late in the game! Congratulations to @CruJones for the well deserved win! I'm glad that you won by more than the one vote that I gave you! LOL

100_7758.JPG

Thanks to the 16 out of 29 people that voted for the X53 out of the three RadRotBikes back at the end of July. (I wonder how things would have played out had it not won!) And a big thank you to the 70 out of 144 That voted for the RadRod X53 in the end!

I'm thrilled to place second after deciding to jump in so late in the game! Congratulations to @CruJones for the well deserved win! I'm glad that you won by more than the one vote that I gave you! LOL

View attachment 173229
Lol thanks RM, I’ll be honest tho as soon as I saw you entered with a X53 of all things I put my phone down and said to my wife “ well my chances are slim to none now “. !

Lol thanks RM, I’ll be honest tho as soon as I saw you entered with a X53 of all things I put my phone down and said to my wife “ well my chances are slim to none now “. !
Ironically you were the one person that was unaffected. :21:

Here's a follow up on the frame/tire clearance @Palepainter .

I finally took the bike back apart to finish the 'C-notch' on the frame.

This was how the frame was cut away for the 3" Aerovane tire.
IMG_3507.JPG

I cut two flat steel pieces and bent them to fit over the opening and had them welded in. (Sorry but I forgot to take a picture before we started welding.)
IMG_3510.JPG

Here's how it looked after the welds were smoothed up.
IMG_3511.JPG

To give it a more finished look I added a little body filler.
IMG_3512.JPG

Then sanded it.
IMG_3513.JPG

...and primed it.
IMG_3515 (2).JPG

Here it is with the Aerovane tire in place.
IMG_3518.JPG

I'll paint it to match tomorrow and put the bike back together with the Hoosier tires.

Here's another detail that didn't show up in the final pictures.

Hidden in the bottom bracket were some nasty grooves worn into the bearing cups. I didn't address it during the build-off because I didn't have time to completely break down the bike. I put it together dry just like it was for the test ride and photo shoot.

Got them out and replaced today along with a copious application of grease.

Here's how they looked!
IMG_3531 (2).JPG
IMG_3532.JPG

Latest posts

Back