Rad Rot Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PICK MY RAD ROT BIKE 2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lowered the front of the guard so that it is alligned properly with the line of the rear struts.
Is the front bracket messed up on the real bike? Probably just needs some "hands on" persuasion. :D

Correct!
The front bracket is spot welded in that location with no provision for adjustments. I have looked at various pitures of other X53s and they all have similar alignment. As I said, it has always stood out and bugged me even before I owned one myself.

I've wondered if it was designed that way intentionally to make the little wing looking embellishment appear to be taking flight. Notice that the bottom edge of the guard does line up with the chain stay. Even if it was intentional, I like the lines running straight through the bike. I even moved the front fender brace down just a little to complete the line.
X53 chainguard alignment.jpg

Correct!
The front bracket is spot welded in that location with no provision for adjustments. I have looked at various pitures of other X53s and they all have similar alignment. As I said, it has always stood out and bugged me even before I owned one myself.

I've wondered if it was designed that way intentionally to make the little wing looking embellishment appear to be taking flight. Notice that the bottom edge of the guard does line up with the chain stay. Even if it was intentional, I like the lines running straight through the bike. I even moved the front fender brace down just a little to complete the line.
View attachment 168371

Now you have me curious. I'll have to look at the ones that I have. I've never done anything with them since I got them.

I don't have a good low side shot, but this one doesn't appear to be out of line. But googling around, I see a mix of ones that are jacked up and some that aren't.

1629158918953.jpeg

But my other one suffers the exact affliction you describe.

1629159204788.png

I've seen pics of some that are level, some a little raised and some raised a lot like your red one.

My girls bike is pretty straight. (The rear flat tire makes it look unlevel). I'll look tomorrow to see if the mount is in the same place.
X53 girl.jpg

Yes, you dropped the nose of the chainguard to get the line parallel to the ground and in line with the rear fender brace.
It’s a subtle change, but once done, looks like it should have always been that way. Kinda strange, because Murray bicycles always have that end to end style line

Here are pics of the bracket from the back of my straight one if it helps.

1629160394741.png
1629160427073.png

I suppose it's possible that what they intended was to balance up the chainguard with the chain stays, which run visually 'under' the chainguard, as well as those front fenders with sloping rear stays (I have no idea what fenders the original bike had, though), and I suspect that the birdy thing is actually a jet aircraft indeed sweeping upwards. I wonder if our modern perception differs from those in the dawning jet age?

Looking at the original advertising art, I believe that the guard was designed to continue the straight line. It's anyone's guess why it's so inconsistent from one bike to the next.
ad-1955-Western-Auto-x-53.jpg

Almost forgot to follow up with the mystery fastener.

After closer inspection, the 'wings' fold in and out which leads me to believe that it's probably a hollow wall anchor. Still just a guess but definitely not original to the bike.
IMG_3337.JPG

Almost forgot to follow up with the mystery fastener.

After closer inspection, the 'wings' fold in and out which leads me to believe that it's probably a hollow wall anchor. Still just a guess but definitely not original to the bike.
View attachment 168470
Soon... it's an...Iron Butterfly? :blush:
IronButterfly_New_Releases.jpg

...did you find the bike...In the Garden (of Eden)?

The only solution for the broken bolt in the fork was to drill it out. I got lucky and managed to drill very close to dead center. With a larger bolt I would've drilled a large enough hole for an ease-out but in this case it was just too small.

I'm not sure what size screw was in it but my guess was that it was probably a number 10 judging by the head that broke off. To avoid drilling into the fork I decided to drill it just big enough for an 8-32 screw. So it's a screw in the center of a broken screw. It should be plenty strong for the job.

Back on track.
IMG_3339.JPG

Grabbed a screw for a picture. Not the correct head but you get the idea.
IMG_3340.JPG

It's cool that the jeweled bow pedals are still with the bike, but they are in very sad shape. Being the original X53 pedals it's worth my time to try to salvage them.

Just a little bent wouldn't you say? :blackeye:
IMG_3346.JPG

Latest posts

Back