Radchen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this is where I really wanted the seat to live
Too bad, it looks perfect there...
What an amazing machine you are concocting here. I can't wait to see how it looks with a rider or next to a regular wheelbase bike for comparison.

While I ponder on what to do about the seat, I thought I'd handle up front. I wanted a blade fork, because it'll be different than the standard triple trees you see on customs, and because blade forks are thinner, for slipping this bike in the back seat of the car.

I took one I had in the parts pile that had a damaged steer tube, and cut it in half. I put those halves on either side of an 1 1/8" steer tube, and tacked it together. I think that will do nicely.
IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG

Could you suspend the seat from the top tube without struts.
What is the spindle height. Are those 170mm crank arms?
View attachment 200429

Novel concept. There was an artist who made a series of ultra short wheelbase bicycles. Can't find them online.
Fine workmanship. Adore the overall design with wide wheels.
Like this better, maybe just a further rearward...........Curt

Two big updates in these photos. Okay, three.

-One, the fork is welded out, and looking good.
-Two, this is where the seat will be positioned, so that I don't have to worry about unintentional wheelies. Rear bracket will be moved up.
-Three, you can now see which bars I plan to use. They are vintage adjustable bars, that have been re-chromed. Not sure if they're Kelly, or from some more recent foldable bike. but they're as early as the 20s, and as new as the 60s, I recon.

Oh, and four, the pedals I've got on there pop off with a quick release. So, I can fold the bars down, pop off the pedals, and have this thing be small enough to go into the backseat of any car. Hopefully.
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG

@deven_science, it is customary when a member in a direct manner compliments your work and asks you questions to reply with some from of a response.

Radchen is wonderful. The rear reminds me of 50s fin cars.

@deven_science, it is customary when a member in a direct manner compliments your work and asks you questions to reply with some from of a response.

Radchen is wonderful. The rear reminds me of 50s fin cars.
Okay, sure. I might be able to suspend it without struts, but I'll put them in there, just to be rigid. I'm not sure what a spindle is. The cranks are either 170, or 175. Haven't measured them. It's been mostly about just using parts I had.

Is a 'longer' seat an option for you? Like those 'super73' or 'Ruff lil buddy' bikes?

I enjoy the design so far
I'm sure a long seat could work, if I could find the right shape, but I've never been a fan of their appearance. Besides, I've had this motorcycle solo seat waiting for about three years, so I wanted to finally use it.

I'm sure a long seat could work, if I could find the right shape, but I've never been a fan of their appearance. Besides, I've had this motorcycle solo seat waiting for about three years, so I wanted to finally use it.
Love this design Deven, as I do all of your creations. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes next.

Fork came out nice.
I like the new seat placement too. Just a thought, but what if you didn't have any seat support coming from the point fin section of the frame? Instead, flare out some seat supports that follow the curve of the "seattube" section?
It would allow for a very cool floating look to the centerline tubes and seat and show off the sleek fin tubes.

1657985175562.png

Fork came out nice.
I like the new seat placement too. Just a thought, but what if you didn't have any seat support coming from the point fin section of the frame? Instead, flare out some seat supports that follow the curve of the "seattube" section?
It would allow for a very cool floating look to the centerline tubes and seat and show off the sleek fin tubes.

View attachment 200693
I like that idea! The bike's got a cool shape, and those 2 supports sticking straight up would mess with the flow of the frame's lines. Your idea flows with the rest of the bike!

Think some of ya'll missed post #43. Perhaps I'm I invisible, that must be it.

@deven_science, the main spindle is what the crank arms connect to. The pedal spindles orbit the crank spindle which is part of an equation regarding weight distribution I was preparing to demonstrate which might have be use to this or future projects.

Carry on

Fork came out nice.

View attachment 200693
@hamqqea had a similar idea. I'll probably put struts in, for simplicity's sake.

Latest posts

Back