Raleigh bicycles ever made in USA?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raleigh is basically a british company but did they ever make Raleigh bikes in the US?

I have one Raleigh Retroglide Single. It may be what ever (China, Taiwan etc). Headbadge says "Raleigh America bicycles".

The following is swiped from the Raleigh Wikipedia page:

In 1982, rights to the Raleigh USA name were purchased by the Huffy Corporation. Under the terms of the agreement, Raleigh of England licensed Huffy to design and distribute Raleigh bicycles in the US,[28] and Huffy was given instant access to a nationwide network of bike shops. The renamed Raleigh Cycle Company of America sold bikes in the US while the rest of the world, including Canada, received Raleigh of England bikes. At that time, production of some U.S. Raleigh models were shifted to Japan, with Bridgestone manufacturing most of these bikes. By 1984, all Raleighs for the American market, except the top-of-the range Team Professional (made in Ilkeston) and Prestige road bikes (made in Nottingham), were produced in the Far East.
"

I knew I saw the name before...
S2400002.JPG

(on my Haro Escape frame.)

The Raleigh Technium line was made near Seattle, Washington. Those frames were a combo of steel and aluminum. The rear triangles were brazed, the front end was glued together. You can glue steel to aluminum. The Gran(d) Prix was made in Enid Oklahoma for a short period of time. The Gran(d) was also made in Nottingham, Ireland, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan.

I sent a Raleigh to my sister in in Raleigh that used to belong to Lollie.

Latest posts

Back