raleigh fireball dtr (back peddle 2 speed.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 new bikes, figured i'd start with the easy one. :) it won't be much of a build (more a clean up) but i could do with some help.
IMG_4375.jpg

finding info on this model has been a chore. theres a fireball in the 69 raleigh cat.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleig ... /index.htm

mines alittle different. rootbeer color,2 speed back peddle (no coaster brake- but the dtr is a coaster brake bike)
from what i gather the s2 2 speed hub is original. i also found mention of these bikes having dunlop white walls as an option. (which mine has) both rims are also matching sturmey rims. i was looking at the american cat. btw.
in 69 rootbeer was not a color option, and yet all my hub/rims are 1969. i'm thinking its a 1970-72 but i cant find pictures/info on those either. :)

grips bars etc all seem to be original (and almost identical to my matching 69 raleigh made ccm avenger)

now i'm trying to figure out if the seat and brakes are original or not. and if it had a shifter. (like the ones pictured-3+2)the brakes/levers are 1020 and 1080 weinmann alum brakes.
IMG_4383-1.jpg

IMG_4384-1.jpg

i've seen these on full size raleighs of the time area, but these seem to be more 10speed brakes than muscle bike brakes. my avenger has steel brakes/levers.i see no wear signs leading me to believe it had different brakes on it, and the bars/grips are identical to the avenger. (apes are alittle wider with tighter bends than standard schwinn type apes) i also cant find any traces of where a shifter might have been clamped to the frame. they usually wear paint etc.

i have a set of steel levers/brakes but i dont wont to change them out if these are infact original.
IMG_4380.jpg
(i imagen these are late 70's early eights bmx style)
what do you guys think? are the weinmann orig?
i'm also trying to find pictures of a rootbeer fireball so i can see if this is the original seat or not and if it indeed did have a shifter. i'm hoping somebody has a canadian or british catalog or pehaps the american years i cant locate. heck if ya got a fireball, please post a pic.
most of the fireballs i've come across have the chopper type seat with the back rest. i have however seen a couple with this very seat.

first order of business, get it rollin! i would have liked to use the original dunlop whitewalls, but they have long given up.
IMG_4371.jpg

its getting 1970's uniroyal slicks (front and back)
IMG_4379.jpg

the suns finally out. i'm off to clean some rims and change tires. :)
thx guys.

thx rick, some of that was very helpful. from what i can tell everything on the bike is original right down to the dunlop whitewalls. (seat and rear hub still excluded)
the dtr is surposed to be a coaster brake version of the bike. with this old s2 sturmey, its just out of the question.
with so much being original, i tend to wonder if this fireball had the shifter removed and the s2 hub replace the original, or if it was a wierd variant for the canadian market (still haven't found a rootbeer fireball)

Happy to help out man! But like you said, if there was a shifter mounted on the frame, there would be evidence on the paint. So, you're left with the possibility that A; it came as is, with the 2 speed kicker, B; it had a handle-bar or stem mounted shifter which would hardly leave a mark, or C; the rear was swapped out when the bike was still fairly new, and those parts were readily available.
Either way you slice it, it's still cool beans :lol:
I would try and email raleigh ron, if anyone can help steer you in the right direction, it would be him.
Seems like Canadian musclebike parts are like the proverbial hens teeth; not much known about them and hard as heck to find. Guess thats why the lil old Mustang I found locally is still not much more than a pile o'parts. I'm about ready to rat-ify it by using whatever i've got kicking around (parts bike wheels, grips, shifter) rather than keep holding out for original pieces.
nugreen.jpg

Come to think of it, that might just be this weekends quickie project ! :mrgreen:
Rick

Those Uniroyal slicks are nice, they look fat. Bet they cost a pretty penny. I like the Fireball.

the uniroyals were part of a trade.last year i gave up an old supercycle cougar,(copy of the ccm mustang for canadian tire stores-would have been a good donor bike rick. :) )
IMG_1211.jpg

and inreturn i got the uniroyals, a bunch on n.o.s. cable wraps, sissy bar backrests,seats,speedometers,chain guards etc. heres all the stuff i still haven't used (already used most of the good stuff for other builds)
IMG_1745.jpg

btw the slicks ride great. alot better than i expected.
IMG_4392.jpg

rick that a sweet little mustang.
theres a ccm mustang/marauder group on yahoo.(pierre started the group) he's the one i traded the cougar to (huge ccm collector-muscle bikes) he might be a good lead for parts/stickers etc. (and other info you might need)

Latest posts

Back