Raleigh sport

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this Raleigh sport over the weekend.
Initially as a donor bike for the 3 speed hub etc. It's a ruff in places. Bent chain guard, bent and repainted front fender, miss matched rims and surface rust on all the chrome parts.
I aired up the tyres, straightened the bent fenders and chain guard to stop them rubbing, adjusted the hub gears and went for a ride.
Pretty cool thing to ride, and the paint is fairly decent. Might have to save it :headbang:
20210628_173900.jpg
20210628_175741.jpg

Where are you located? That color was never offered in the USA. It has mismatched wheels. LTD front wheel, newish aluminum rear rim. Either a new wheel or a rebuild with a new rim. Serial number can tell where it was built. If the hub were original, the date on it would tell the year. Pretty durable bikes. I have quite a few and go on some tweed rides where everyone has these.

info in serial numbers here:
https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

Where are you located? That color was never offered in the USA. It has mismatched wheels. LTD front wheel, newish aluminum rear rim. Either a new wheel or a rebuild with a new rim. Serial number can tell where it was built. If the hub were original, the date on it would tell the year. Pretty durable bikes. I have quite a few and go on some tweed rides where everyone has these.

info in serial numbers here:
https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html
I'm in Australia. Thanks for info.
Had found a bit on Sheldon Brown. it's a Nottingham built, April 76 build. The rear hub is also dated 4 76. Looks like it's had a freshen up some time back, maybe late 90s, with new pads, rear rim, new tyres and some ...... paint added to the fenders.
Think I will strip the fenders and chain guard, and go to 700c wheels. The frame is in great condition, but all the bolt ons are average. I will keep the factory bits to go back on at a later stage

700c is 622mm and your original wheels are 26 x 1 3/8ths, 590mm in diameter, so that's a difference of 16mm in radius. With no fenders the wheels will fit, but the brake pads will most probably not align up with the new wheels. I'd get a IGH with coaster brakes or find handbrakes with a shorter reach. My favorite is the two speed kickback hub, no cables at all.
I've always liked the look of these bikes minus the fenders and chain guard. I like coaster brakes because I can ditch the cables too. Just a 3 speed cable is what I used to ride with for years. Raleigh also had the factory that made the other English brands, after 1960. They were good quality but Raleighs were a notch higher. This is my 65 Hercules, made in the Nottingham factory. I bought it second hand and took off the fenders and everything immediately and found some flat bars. I rode this bike wherever my ships docked back in the 80's.

10462813_10153234182031737_2273812788065188364_n.jpg

700c is 622mm and your original wheels are 26 x 1 3/8ths, 590mm in diameter, so that's a difference of 16mm in radius. With no fenders the wheels will fit, but the brake pads will most probably not align up with the new wheels. I'd get a IGH with coaster brakes or find handbrakes with a shorter reach. My favorite is the two speed kickback hub, no cables at all.
I've always liked the look of these bikes minus the fenders and chain guard. I like coaster brakes because I can ditch the cables too. Just a 3 speed cable is what I used to ride with for years. Raleigh also had the factory that made the other English brands, after 1960. They were good quality but Raleighs were a notch higher. This is my 65 Hercules, made in the Nottingham factory. I bought it second hand and took off the fenders and everything immediately and found some flat bars. I rode this bike wherever my ships docked back in the 80's.

View attachment 162913
That's cool. The kind of look in thinking for mine, flat bars included. Looks like the 700s will fit easily. But will need to watch the brake reach. Only other issue in the 90mm front hub spacing

I noticed your pads are adjusted all the way to the bottom of the brake arms, so maybe they can be adjusted up to fit 700c. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks.

Latest posts

Back