Raleigh Twenty Rat project.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C98C127B-F824-45EE-98C2-F0A5FDB97E65.jpeg
I could never ride something like this as my regular bicycle. But I would enjoy riding it as a lark.

If your front wheel grabs a crack with those tiny wheels, you will flip on your face in an instant. I did this on a Schwinn Varsity once. I was just riding around the neighborhood with my wife and kids and the they saw me take a header right in front of them.

Fortunately my mr. chicken judo training kicked in, and I tucked and rolled.

Though I wasn’t wearing a helmet I survived with tiny scratches.

It’s too bad that doesn’t work around here. Any kind of a bike would be stolen just for the tires and inner tubes.

Unfortunately, we have manufactured the worlds largest population of homeless bike pedalers.

5 years ago they didn’t have to lock up the tires and inner tubes at our Walmart.

Sorry…old man…Early morning rant syndrome…
No apologies required. The increased amount of bicycle thievery around here and the apathy that law enforcement has about it is astounding. This is especially true when this month's newsletter that accompanied my utility bill has the mayoral-ish person stating that the citizens of our municipality should ride bicycles in lieu of driving. The amount of chirping that local and state level politicians do about alternative transportation seems to merely be fronting on their part and this is especially true about bicycles being used as such. If our fair city had true intent, municipal employees would be offered a stipend to commute by bicycle and the largely empty bike racks at city buildings would be used more often than they are. It would appear that their participation in the joke that is the semi-annual bike to work days are their big rah-rah "we encourage bicycles as transportation" events. Lip Service Only

Netherlands are cycle nuts in every aspect. Half a million reported bike thefts per year, often exceeding any other crime. On average, 188,500 per year in the US.
https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/...ft-netherlands-has-dropped-losses-remain-high
Bloody h e l l ! that's a lot of bikes. The Dutch are nuts for bikes though. I watched a great vid recently it showed that 'uncool' bike that most use.
Seems its extremely well designed and very functional and comfortable.

Bike theft I think is big here in new zealand and high end bikes are targeted, there's some bike rego databases set up by a couple of outfits but nothing in the sense of proper police databases or any official database with any clout, police auctions show that a number of lower end bikes are found but never returned to the owners for whatever reason, in my city if youths steal highend bikes (mtb bmx only) they literally spraypaint the whole bike except for the seat and bars in the favorite colour of choice....... Stolen black, in the retail store I work in 3 youths targeted 3 of our most expensive bikes and rode them straight out the fire exit door a couple years ago about $3000 worth, so started locking up the good bikes, over the years people have come in and steal qr skewers, chains, brake pads, seatpost clamps even the lockon grips etc..... Don't get me started on all the mgp scooter parts that get stolen too, but hey if the company don't want to lock them up then what can you do, if I ever ride into the city for a look around I usually go to my work and leave my ride in the stockroom which is 99% secure

Tweakers will try to steal the shoelaces out of your shoes while you are wearing them.

Back to the build and my intial statement about dad bikes after the discussion on bicycle targets of thievery. The more unconventional your build is, the less likely it wil be targeted. The only caveat is contained in the sentence above.

Tweakers will try to steal the shoelaces out of your shoes while you are wearing them.

Back to the build and my intial statement about dad bikes after the discussion on bicycle targets of thievery. The more unconventional your build is, the less likely it wil be targeted. The only caveat is contained in the sentence above.
Yes indeed back to the build. It's stalled at the moment, I'm waiting on another rear light which I will attach to another then to the carrier.
Then pretty much done, except for the application of more stickers!

Camouflage is the key!

Hi All
Apologies for a belated update.
Not much to report other than the application of fruit and other stickers!

I am currently racking my brain as to how to fix the 2 lights (1 original and the other off flea bay) onto the rear carrier.
They are slightly different and reckon that they are cut out by hand, so far I have only bolted them together.
After fixing them to the carrier I may paint them green to match the bike?
At some stage I will connect up LED's.

Suggestions most welcome.

Have great weekend all!

fr1.jpg

Attachments

• fr2.jpg
    fr2.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 4
  • fr3.jpg
    fr3.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 4
  • l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 3
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 4
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 3
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 4
  • l5.jpg
    l5.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi All
Apologies for a belated update.
Not much to report other than the application of fruit and other stickers!

I am currently racking my brain as to how to fix the 2 lights (1 original and the other off flea bay) onto the rear carrier.
They are slightly different and reckon that they are cut out by hand, so far I have only bolted them together.
After fixing them to the carrier I may paint them green to match the bike?
At some stage I will connect up LED's.

Suggestions most welcome.

Have great weekend all!

View attachment 200601
Looking good and agree paint the lights to match the frame

Latest posts

Back