RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading. Surprised @Jake Sensi wasn't more involved in this. He's got more models in his build thread than a booth at the auto show
Oh, he was involved alright! Believe he scored a top 2 or 3 finish.

just saw this thread pop up on the forum activity email...
... oh, my gosh... what memories... i was big into models too. lots of mashups, rarely building them as intended. couple of my favorites were the boothill express & the big red baron (1/12 scale).
i'm so glad i found this forum.

Hi RRBers,

Stopping in to share this. Not exactly a mash up, or a model as such. But I finished my wife’s RC buggy today.

Custom decals, paint, and some other details on the outside, bigger motor and better shocks on the inside.
D9B30FF5-2639-4862-9C09-39FD2D0F5A58.jpeg
ACBC2040-96CD-4731-A2D3-0D3BC16BDA36.jpeg
E665E059-065A-46B2-A6F0-BCEDE922F160.jpeg

Giving my own RC a baja refresh as well. Will post pics when I’m done.

I'm looking forward to the next bash up. I'm going to take the same approach as last year, and start with a small scale model (1/43 or 1/32 prob), and then raid the kid's toys for a character to stuff into it. That was fun.

Hey all you model building fans.....it's ON! Last night I just posted up the thread / forum for the Version II of our model kit bash.
Go here for more of the details, and to get ready to start your build thread....it officially begins October 15!

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/rat-rod-model-kit-bash-challenge-ii.114716/#post-1194248
@nevin @Alan Griffin @Verrt and others, hope you will join in the fun this year!

I only have one "model" type project on the books right now, and I'm not sure if it fits the scope of the mash up bash.

I'll describe it here and let the the brains trust decide if it's an acceptable entry, with OJ having the final say. It's not totally a mash up, but will require a lot of modifying, making, and 1/10th scale rat rodding.

So, I want to take the two RC cars I posted earlier in this thread (already my starting point could be contentious), and I want to add laser tag to them!

About a decade ago my wife and I bought two "RC battle cars" off the shelf at I think walmart. They were great fun, two mad max/death race looking cars each with an IR emitter in the front, and and IR receiver in the back, plus three LEDs to keep track of hits. The aim being to get behind the other car and tag them with your IR emitter three times.
They were great, but the fun all ended when one got driven through a puddle and never worked again.

So we got the idea to take hobby grade RC buggies that can stand up to the puddles, jumps, and head on collisions that the last ones couldn't.
Then add on the IR combat elements, model weapons, LEDs, sound effects, etc.
This will involve making and programing the electronics, mounting them in the cars, then using model making skills to hide them and make it look like the little model guns are doing the actual shooting.

I've already built and painted the buggies (and then broken mine), as shown in my earlier post, but haven't started on any of the IR stuff or adding on weapons.

Let me know the consensus if this is an acceptable entry. No worries if it's not, I can still post updates in this thread if people are interested.

I can probably manage to throw in on this, but the model would be a scratch-build of a boat hull that I already made and a character sculpt. The interior parts will likely be from models if I can find the box of stuff I had sitting around for years (that is, if I didn't toss it).

Hey Verrt and duchess, make sure you post in this year's new thread, not this one which is from last Fall's Model Kit Bash. See my comment #712, 3 above this one for the link.

Latest posts

Back