Ratflex ; Final Pics Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the first rough mockup. 24 x 3 tires on some drop centers. I hacked up an old Monark fender and made a bobbed rear fender. The chain guard is off of a Dayton, but I think it went on a bike with a curved downtube cause it doesn't fit right. I will need to change the mount if I decide to use it.
Ratflex002.jpg

Bolt it together and your done. Coolest frame ever. Can't wait to see it done.

Re: Ratflex ; Progress pics 11/25

Here are some progress pics. I blew the frame apart, talk about a bunch of pieces. I think my fully suspended mountain bike has less moving parts.
partspile.jpg

Parts Pile.
seatstem.jpg

Seat and Stem
pedalparts.jpg

Pedal pieces, I am going to paint up some old teardrop pieces and combine them with some newer shafts/blocks.
I will post more pics tomorrow.
Lots of great looking bikes in the finished bikes thread. I guess I better kick it in the hiney :shock:

Re: Ratflex ; Mockup pic added

Hey, those pedals look kinda familiar!

Way cool bike and WOW that thing is much too complicated. Looks like the English must have engineered it.

Nice work and good luck!

--Rob

Hey Rob I put the girls pedals that I got from you on my wifes bike. The ones I am using for the bike are pieces from some bikes I parted out.
Nice work on the Ross!!
I have been swamped at work, but plan on getting some pics up on the finished bike thread tonight.

2manybikes said:
Hey Rob I put the girls pedals that I got from you on my wifes bike. The ones I am using for the bike are pieces from some bikes I parted out.
Nice work on the Ross!!
I have been swamped at work, but plan on getting some pics up on the finished bike thread tonight.

Good luck Mark-
Cool bike, I know I can't wait to see it.

I can't decide who has built the best rat- there are so many mind-blowing bikes!

I'll keep watching!

--Rob

Re: Ratflex ; Completed Pics

I took the afternon off work and threw it back together. Here are a few details
bracket1.jpg

Used some aluminum tio fab up a license plate/reflector holder
bracket2.jpg

Here is the bracket
donerear.jpg

Here it is on the bike

pedal.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished pedals

One thing that worked out slick was the rear fender. I made some mounts that attach the fender to the suspension so it moves with the wheel. Here is a pic
donerear1.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished bike, I will post more in the finished bike thread.
done1.jpg

Thanks for the props
ok seriously that is one of my all time favorite bikes!!! wow great job man!
Hey Hooch you are the reason I am here. I was browsing the CABE site (or schwinn the forums I can't remember which) a while back and saw a picture of rosemary. It led me to this site and I found out that there were a bunch of other warped minds out there besides me :wink:

you should have an ear to ear grin riding that one
Between the long spring saddle and the rear spring it has about 5" of rear travel. Almost as much as my mountain bike. The only problem is that it weighs in at about 60 lbs and instead of discs and lots "O" gears it has a 60 year old coaster brake and 1 gear :shock: I probably won't be grinning, it will be the kind of face you make when you are succkin wind.

As always my procastination prevented me from doing all of the stuff to the bike I had planned. I was planning to add some pinstriping and lace a Nexus hub into the rear wheel. OH Well maybe on next the build off bike I will get my ship together "probly NOT".
Here is a parts list of the stuff I used;
Frame = 1936 Dayton Twinflex. Made by Dayton /Huffman which later became Huffy :oops: And I said I would never ride a Huffy. The frame and the wheels & tires are the only parts I have any money into. The rest of the parts came from bikes I parted.
Chainguard = mid 40s Dayton
Wheels = late 40s lobdell ballooner
Hubs = New Departure Model D front & rear, 1" pitch chain
Pedals = prewar stream line parts with torington guts
Crank = mid 40s Dayton
Seat = prewar troxel long spring w/OG leather
Stem = mid 40s Torrington
Bars = prewar Torrington
Grips = Prewar coke bottles. I think these were OG to the bike
Headlight = Early 50s Delta torpedo with a 65 Ford Fairline fender winged JB welded to the top (Its a Rat Rod) :)
Rear reflector = from a 1938 Hawthorne Duralium Monarch Silver King
Hubcaps = 50s Wald
Tires = 24 x 3 Nirve Phatarse white walls (The only parts on the bike that were not made in the good old USA)
Some scrap steel and aluminum for brackets, and a couple of rattle cans of paint. Red oxide and some flat white.
The funnest part was "Aging" the paint. Purposely scratching the paint and rubbing dirt and grease into the surface was strangely pleasing.

I will post some more pics when I get the striping done

That is A GREAT LOOKING RAT, WOW. just about how i'd have done it , and you added some extra Kool to it. You got my vote. Great Job. I gotta a similar frame (w/o the rear springer, just a rear dropout) a rusty WF, skiptooth, with the same springer as yours, and I like 24x3's, on back( I have 2 bikes that way ), and seeing the 24x3 on that springer makes me want to do that ,too. Really Kool Bike. Dangerous Dan

Thanks guys,
I really struggled with the decision to keep the original paint, but it seemed like a shame to mess with the patina.
The 24 x 3 front just barely fits. I had to true the rim twice before I got it to stop rubbing. Strangely enough the rear chain stays had plenty of room.

Latest posts

Back