Ratty News

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! Three more minutes and you're finished. If you could just find a place for the lid off that BBQ grill, it would be Real Ratty News.

Ok , its unanimous everyone likes the guard and so far its the only part that really fits ...no new news on the bike 'cept I am taking it
to work where I have a torch and a porta power to straighten the frame then to my buddy to see if we can figure out a headset to work with
this frame and fork as I have been through all my parts... nadda

I like it all. I like how you rimmed the tank plate. And that chain guard is the cat's meow.

Clancy the pinch well moulding works great for quieting down the rattle on the tank plate over bumps and the bike was riding nicely
before I tore it down again ...no new pics but its ripped and stripped thinkin' bare metal frame for this one and the front fender is outta here.
more later

Jeez I have been workin my but off the past month and have had no time for the bike, so now I have a week left to finish .....
I dont know if I can but I am going to try anyhow. Lots of cool bikes getting done !

I think this bike build must have the plauge or something, I had it all together and rideable but what a pile O junk.. it just rides terible so
its torn down again and taking a different direction then I went to take some new pics of the mock up only to find my cammera broken.
With only 3 days left ???????????? Jeez now I feel rushed going to try and get a new cammera later today....43 cool bikes done !!!

Takes a good person to admit they made a pile -o- junk! We never would have guessed it, bike LOOKED very cool. GOOD LUCK!

i have done that before. built something that looks really cool but rides so badly it is just not cool. one of the things i think your bike might work better with is a really tall set of ape hangers but thats me. my bike this year was a huge roll of the dice i was afraid that with the longer front rockers it would flop really bad when turning but i got lucky. or the fact that the darn thing actually stayed standing up on the stand with 9+ pounds of metal hanging off the side. someitmes when doing these out of the norm customs you are steping into uncharted territory that no one knows what will happen if you put something together a special way. but thats what in my mind makes it exciting knowing your building something that has never been done before. all i gotta say is GET ER DONE!!!

I agree with Karfer.
There are quite a few on this build that got a cool bike done in a way they didn't plan. Although very frustrating when building, it's definately rewarding when you notice you went with the flow and the bike has been growing and develloping 'on it's own'.

I almost forgot your bike. Hope to see it finished these up comming days. You had some interesting things going on...
Good luck.

Thanks for the props guys, I found a short test ride in front of the house is nothing compared to a long ride around town.
The bike was scary sqirlly on the down hill and a chore to pedal even on flat ground ....I'm not as young as I used to be :roll:
I made some proggress today and the bike has taken a new direction, did some horse tradin' with my LBS for a set of tires and
a truss rod springer. Today was like a new begining on the bike , stripped the old paint and gave it a coat of primer and a quicky
scallop job....not the greatest job but I feel kinda rushed for some reason :wink:
bare bones
101_0130.jpg

painted
101_0134.jpg

after a couple hours of drying did a little assembly
101_0139.jpg

more later today

So you've made it after all...
Just wanted to say you've not only build a bike that's only just ridable, it's a goodlooking-one too! What a transformation. Now I see this one I'm really glad your initial plans didn't work out. 'Ratty News' turned into a very cool ride with enough personallity to make it stand out. I love them bags!

Very well done!

yep I made it in the finnished bikes section but I'm not totally finished, I still need to finish the lighting and a few details on the paint.
I didn't get get to many pics during the build but the end product is what really matters , the first test ride was smooth but I had a rattle
from the rack so I fixed it with a piece of leather and now it feels solid, rides smooth, quiet , tracks straight and the steering is tight !
The parts I used in the first mock up did not give the bike any of the qualities I look for in my bikes but I did like the look.
the list

Clevland Welding Frame...unknown year or model
Wester Flyer Truss Rod Springer
Heavy Duty wheels.. New Departure model D hub
Schwalbe Fat Frank tires 26 x 2.35 with downhill tubes slimed of coarse
Schwinn crank with a 40 tooth sprocket
Repop Crate pedals
OE bars, grips and stems the rust shining through old silver paint
nos Union headlight
news boy rack
potato sack paper bag
paint Ace Rust Stop brown primer and Ace Sand enamel

100_0146.jpg

100_0144.jpg

I think it fits the theme...Ratty News

Nice job mark really enjoyed your build and the outcome is very nice ,oh and great pictures .,also you got my vote...very creative ! 8)

P.S. how much for a subscription !? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back