Raven

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

Reaction score
Serial numbers for Murray changed in the the late 80s or early 90s. If I remember correctly, there may be two sets of numbers on the head tube, one of which should start with MO#. The # is the last digit of the year. Decade has to be inferred by graphics, fork type, etc. That unicrown fork, the graphics, and being a six speed scream 90s to me.
The serial number appears to be MOPxx..;....
But, internet pictures have convinced me it is a mid 90s Beach Comber 6. Close enough for me at any rate. Thanks.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
"In 1998, Murray moved bicycle production from Lawrenceburg to a non-union factory in Mississippi. Production of all U.S.-made bicycles halted in 1999. In 2000, the Murray brand was acquired by Pacific Cycle, a U.S. distributor of bicycles produced in Taiwan and the People's Republic of China."

Reaction score
Someone posted that the build year may be on the stem, but now I can't find the post to thank them...

There a a few numbers and words on the stem, but the only one that looks like a date might be A 163 96....

So I'm going to go with '96.

I didn't get much done today. I am coming down with a cold.

I managed to get the fork off, I got the stickers off, the frame was roughed up with some 320, and I shot 3 coats of primer.
tempImageLuCG8N.png
tempImage6qcotp.png
tempImagemTq6CG.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If that indeed came equipped with a 6 speed, hub spacing will be something to keep in mind when shopping for wheels. Externally geared hubs are wider than single speed coasters
I would suggest measuring the inside width of the rear drop outs. Most common modern bikes are usually 130-135. 5mm is nothing really. If i had to guess id bet that is a 130mm spacing. I'm sure a coaster hub, and or a internal hub would fit

Reaction score
110 mmRear older track, coaster brake and other single-speed hubs. Also, front hubs for Downhill bikes with 20 mm axles.
114 mmRear 3-4-speed. This is US, U.K. Same as 4 1/2 inches.
120 mmRear 5-speed, Ultra 6, newer track hubs.
126 mmRear 6- and 7-speed (road).
130 mmRear 7-speed (MTB) and 8- 9- and 10-speed (road).
135 mmRear 7- 8- and 9-speed (MTB

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I like the flat black, Raven. Oh wait, I just got it....Raven....black. :crazy: Sometimes I'm a little slow. :p

I agree with Spokeman on the rear drop out width. It's likely either 130 or 135 mm. And yes, if you get a wheel with 135 and the spacing is 130, no worries. That rear steel-stayed triangle is very compliant.

Looking forward to some parts coming your way and on the bike this weekend!

Reaction score
I would suggest measuring the inside width of the rear drop outs. Most common modern bikes are usually 130-135. 5mm is nothing really. If i had to guess id bet that is a 130mm spacing. I'm sure a coaster hub, and or a internal hub would fit
@SpokeMan Mags and discs has been the plan since I first started thinking about building a bike.

@MattiThundrrr Thanks for that chart. Pretty cool.

@OddJob My two favorite colors...Flat and Black.... Just kidding. But yeah, black....Raven....Ravenshurst...

I was going to name her 'Quoth", but figured no one would get it, and 'Nevermore" sounds a little too...final. And YES, can't wait to get some parts on her. Thanks for the free crank! I SO appreciate it.

Latest posts