RBAF

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Source material. So many possibilities sitting out all winter building patina.

Img_4876.jpg

Tune in next week to As The Wheels Turn when rp picks his bike.

Bike selected from the pile.

Fully dismantled today.

cable stops that need to be removed. These Schwinn stops are great at ripping flesh off the body, especially when there are no cables to deflect the bod. There will be no cables on the bike when done. Some times when I do conversions, I leave the stops on in case some one might want to add ders/brakes. But not this time. So many old Schwinns around. No need to pretend they might be worth something.

Looks like a perfect place to start, like opportunity on wheels and, um, where are you going to take it?

Stops removed, paint touched up. Dew Point has been about 75f here so paint is drying pretty slow. Frame looking cleaner for sure.

Some wheel ideas:
This is a 20" 36h wheel I got for the hub. Most larger rims are 36. Most coaster hubs now are 28s (kids bikes).

This what I usually do for single speed conversions. Aluminum bso rims on 36h coaster hubs. Have something speedier in mind. This wheel set is for another project in the works. But not for this build.

A pair of Vitesse deep dish aero rims 26". Needs to go on something more special. Vitesse translated to Speed.

too big to fit the frame.

Too small? Besides, the bo rules say the bike has to be rideable.

Dug some coaster brake hubs out of the parts bins. My plan is no cables but brakes are needed if this is to be ridden. Cable stops are gone now so I'll not use the 2 or 3 speed hubs.

I have plenty of Schwinn 27" wheels but 27" tires are scarce here. Plenty of 700c tires but few 700c rims with 36h.

but first a coaster brake hub inventory:

DC HR-47 Black with stripped off flanges (cheap chinese tube hubs with pressed on flanges). This came from an adult size cruiser
XiJieer
Histop
JoyTech
Shimano CB-E110
Dachang
Enzo CF-E10
YCC China
Falcon CF-E10 black
Falcon ENZO CF-E10
Falcon CF-E10 blue
1 unidentifiable
Bendix RB USA
Bendix RB2
Bendix RB with spine driver
Bendix RB2
Bendix Junior (28h)
Bendix Elmira NY 36 13 Threaded cog with left handed lock ring, missing brake arm.
Bendix 70
New Departure threaded cog with lock ring 22t
New Departure Model D Threaded 20t
Hawthorne white barn paint threaded 20t
Perry B-100 England treaded 20t
Sturmey Archer S3c 1981/7
Shimano 3cc
Shimano 3SC
Shimano Three Speed Hub Coaster Brake qt date code, no model name
Bendix 2 speed cable shift 18t
Bendix 2 speed cable shift 19t
New Departure Brake Model D 10t skip tooth threaded lock ring
New Departure Model D skip tooth 11 threaded lock ring

Bendix.Elmira.NY.threaded (3)

Bendix.Elmira.NY.threaded (2)

Bendix.Elmira.NY.threaded (1)

Bendix.Redbands

Bendix 70

Chinese (1)

chinese.failure

Hawthorne.Perry(england) (1)

Hawthorne.Perry(england) (2)

new.Departure.Model.D.threaded.20.22 (2)

new.Departure.Model.D.threaded.20.22 (1)

new.Departure.threaded.skip.tooth.11.10 Flickr

Shimano.3cc.3sc.nn

Sturmey.Archer.S3C.1981.July

Last edited:
Find a bigger frame and make this happen with a set of ice skates on the forks!!!!

1655230571226.png

handlebar options.

I tried out some old inner tubes as bar covering. 27 x 1 1/4 tubes fit the 7/8" bars just about right. Now if I could find some of those vintage red rubber inner tubes in the right size.

52149405766_b694de274f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wheels.
Replaced the rear 5 speed freewheel hub with a coaster brake hub.
One of the bearing cups was spinning in the front hub shell. Bearings packed with aluminum dust. So that wheel is trash. Pulled another Schwinn wheel from the shed that cleaned up okay. Repacked the bearings.
27" tires ordered. The build is stalled until they arrive.
Picked up a Schwinn branded road seat. A better seat but not color right for this bike. I have a some stock Varsity seats that I could put on. Would match the black bars better. Photos next week on those.
Bars: inverted mini cruiser bars or oem dropped bars. My back can't reach the lower bars.

So skinny from the front view.

Wheels.
Replaced the rear 5 speed freewheel hub with a coaster brake hub.
One of the bearing cups was spinning in the front hub shell. Bearings packed with aluminum dust. So that wheel is trash. Pulled another Schwinn wheel from the shed that cleaned up okay. Repacked the bearings.
27" tires ordered. The build is stalled until they arrive.
Picked up a Schwinn branded road seat. A better seat but not color right for this bike. I have a some stock Varsity seats that I could put on. Would match the black bars better. Photos next week on those.
Bars: inverted mini cruiser bars or oem dropped bars. My back can't reach the lower bars.

So skinny from the front view.
I like the flipped cruiser bars

Pulled 3 more Schwinn seats from the parts supply.

The Schwinn Approved triangle shaped logo seat, probably from the 1960s weighed 1.8 pounds! No wonder those old Schwinns were so heavy.

The most comfortable feeling one turns out has a shattered plastic base. Trashed.

The modern green seat just doesn't match. I did clean it up after the photo.

The brown seat I initially put on the bike turns out to be broken. Same Mesinger saddle that Schwinn used but it came off a Free Spirit Sunbird (Sears) bike. Nice looking cover that removes. I'll try to find another Mesinger base to put in on for another build someday. A couple hours in the sun softened it enough to peal the cover off. 45-50 year old plastic just doesn't hold up well.

plastic styrofoam pading. weathers better than the soft foam on the Schwinn versions.

Last edited:
Great build…. That coppertone continental looked sort of cool too .

Its kinda trashed. It has sting ray bars so I suspect it got lots of wheelies and the smashing back to earth bent the fork out. It's an early model with downtube shift levers. I'll be striping it for parts when I get around to clearing the pile.

Tires arrived today so a push to get it done.

Turns out the rear coaster brake hub axle was bent in two places. So much so the hub wouldn't work properly. Replaced the axle with a straight one from another hub. The hub shell is creaking and groaning so I may have to replace the entire hub. I didn't have the specific Schwinn pedals I want to put on so I used some Wald rat traps. Boy do those creak and pop. I'll be getting the right pedals this weekend. The tires got dirty in just 200 yards of riding. 90f day on a chip seal road. A 2 mile test ride and my spine had enough fun.

52169042404_bdd9be8cb6_b.jpg

52167768267_05baeda79b_b.jpg

52168798281_cec7d8a7ed_b.jpg

52169296055_d62b63f341_b.jpg

52168797941_22ef5270b8_b.jpg

52169272080_ef957a8143_b.jpg

ta da

52169041204_761a55f97e_b.jpg

52169293190_497c376566_b.jpg

with some of the herd sent to pasture.

52169280760_8ba2203ac0_b.jpg

Last edited: