Reality With Almost No Drama

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's almost one in the morning as I write this. I am very tired. I will write something coherent and I'll be shooting for impressive another day. Enjoy the photos for now.
IMG_8574.png

This is my replica of a 1914 Yale that I saw on the internet. It was as close as I could get without a tubing bender or a welder.
IMG_8544.png

Please recycle: There are a lot of used parts on this bike. The frame, the forks, the stem, the tubes, the seat clamp and a bar end. My parts bins runneth over.

IMG_8553.png

I really like the look of Girvin forks so I use them a lot. I am bidding on a pair on eBay now. I have 3 pairs in my apartment right now. Please don't call "Hoarders."

IMG_8548.png

Another bike I built is headed for TV. The Propmaster on the show asked me why my logo wasn't on the tank instead of the one I put there. Going forward, a re-designed logo will (except for the Klunker build-off entry).

IMG_8556.png

3G supplied the rims, the drop stand was located on eBay. Sturmey-Archer's 5-speed drum brake hub brings up the rear along with Innova Street Hog tires.

IMG_8588.png

I do like the profile of the bike. Drop stands produce a really nice look and they lock! Which means they rock.

IMG_8572.png

A Sturmey-Archer dynamo drum brake is centered in the front wheel. Girvins as usual and the reaction arm for the drum brake is attached to the fork with a motorcycle headlight bracket which was powder coated to match.
IMG_8617.png

I went with a black and white KMC chain like I did on the first "Yale" tribute bike I did. Waag Automotive in Van Nuys, CA knocked it out of the park with this blue. The code for it is BL05 if you are interested.

IMG_8583.png

I am working at having more ideas like this. The read LED light is tucked away in the peek-a-boo style of things. I used an unbent coaster brake bracket to mount it to the frame.

IMG_8606.png

I wanted to do a photo shoot or two with it before I start getting those tires dirty. I am waiting to take it to the beach. The Elgin I built for my friend's dad has the same blue and white theme but it is a very different looking machine.

IMG_8599.png

I am very fond of the board track racer look so this bike was treated to number plates. I am actually thinking of selling these things. My early tests show they are rust resistant which I like.

IMG_8641.png

CBGM: Cycles By Gig Mata

IMG_8616.png

This photo is completely intentional. I used Jagwire's stick-on cable guides because I just appreciate the problem they solve. I used zip ties for the second cable because I preferred it to using multiple Jagwire units side-by-side. The thing is though, I have a new solution that is cooler and far less expensive. That will preview on my WBO 2015 entry called "Switch-A-Roo."

IMG_8626.png

I looked for valve caps over the course of several days. I really did. I am happy to have found these retro looking light-up units. I am the envy of every old woman and six-year-old girl.

IMG_8654.png

The leather seat came from eBay. There are good looking units and comfy. I built this thing to sit on for hours. I hope the seat is up for it.

IMG_8663.png

These two bikes are both former Felt Red Barons. I used the same frame, same rims, same hubs, same bars, same, seats. and the same forks yet they are very different animals. The green one is about to get put in a TV show so I may not sell it after all. We shall see.

Last edited:
Love your inspiration...one of my favorites.
You are correct, sir. I really like that motorcycle. I'd like to do a Cyclone tribute bike. You've no doubt seen the one I am thinking of. A yellow one with brown seat and black tires. The 1914 Yale above just looks right. I spent the extra money to get 24" white tires instead of cream. There was about $100 difference and I don't regret it.

Latest posts

Back