Recommendations for recovering an old Troxel springer saddle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Troxel seat, and I'm looking to redo the top cover and maybe replace the padding under it. Looking to see what to do or don't on it. It's got the original Troxel Stamped cover on it currently but it's flaking off and I can see the wovern fabric under it. No padding left either it's either gone hard or just disintegrated under it.

I stumbled upon this video on YT and was wondering if this would be an ok way to do it? or is there better ways to?

I've got some black vinyl with a faux leather look from an old office chair and jacket I planned on using....or if that's not the best option, I was also looking at Tandy Leather's options for coverings but I wanna keep this on a low cost/free option.

It's the seat on this bike that I'm wanting to redo.

P_20210406_153207.jpg

@ingola do you have any reupholstery advice? That saddle you just finished looks similar to that Troxel

PS if I remember correctly, Retro Flutter is another CCM fan somewhere in ON....

@ingola do you have any reupholstery advice? That saddle you just finished looks similar to that Troxel

PS if I remember correctly, Retro Flutter is another CCM fan somewhere in ON....

Yea I'm in Central Ontario, kinda middle of nowhere.

I've got a Troxel seat, and I'm looking to redo the top cover and maybe replace the padding under it. Looking to see what to do or don't on it. It's got the original Troxel Stamped cover on it currently but it's flaking off and I can see the wovern fabric under it. No padding left either it's either gone hard or just disintegrated under it.

I stumbled upon this video on YT and was wondering if this would be an ok way to do it? or is there better ways to?

I've got some black vinyl with a faux leather look from an old office chair and jacket I planned on using....or if that's not the best option, I was also looking at Tandy Leather's options for coverings but I wanna keep this on a low cost/free option.

It's the seat on this bike that I'm wanting to redo.

View attachment 189155
[/QUOTE
What I do if using leather I get a thicker leather wet it and mold it around the seat nice and smooth and form fitting trick is don't use your nails rub with the smooth part of your hand fold under let sit till it no longer smells like butt.Pull the mold off spray seat and bottom of the leather reply and let dry and put the seat back together.
If using black vinyl spray much the same way he did let set a bit and pull if you're hands don't hurt your not pulling hard enough glue the edge down as you go and put the seat back together.
Be careful when taking the seat apart. Those old seat tend to brittle watch you don't snap anything. mostly the bars that hold spring they tend to release from the base of the seat. Lube it up really well. There is a shop on Etsy out of Toronto prices are great I get veg tan leather from for a really good price Ive done seats for about 30 bucks and there quick. I've done many of these seats and this is what works for me

Thanks. What about padding/foam? is what he used and how he did it in the vid fine?

I used what was already there Mattis idea of yoga mat was actually pretty good any stiff foam will do

Hm, never thought of a yoga mat. I'll have to check and see what I can find locally. Thanks for the idea.

Does the Troxel seat have an upper and lower "pan"

IF YES, the cover can be stretched / glued / clamped over the top and the bottom pan pinches it in place.

IF NO, need some info on how the cover is secured on the original seat.

I did the yoga mat foam, but haven't gotten it covered yet. I think I stacked 3 or 4 layers, might be too much, but I wanted to build up the rear to compensate for a large uncomfortable lump at the front of the pan
View attachment 189224
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/re-re-upholstery-project.115115/
I like the padding layout, it will be difficult to get the cover to stretch down into the gaps. Stretch it hard front to back first, to get the cover to sink down in the "crack" then start working it around the back.

Get an old yoga mat at the thrift store. Use soft packing foam for a top layer over the yoga mat. The soft foam compresses easily and rebounds to puff out the vinyl. Glue them on and sand to contour with a foam or other sanding block. Make the seams and contour are smooth. Go to the fabric store and get a piece of marine vinyl upholstery. Don’t get the stretch marine vinyl. Use the info on your Youtube site to apply the covering. You’ll have to peel back parts and reapply and cut notches in the vinyl on the underside of the pan. Once your happy apply Sho Goo around the underside of the pan along the vinyl so that it doesn’t work loose.
B64B40C1-7E08-4E7D-8BDC-4FB20C5BE0F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back