Recycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m starting another slow bicycle project. Something to keep me busy and out of trouble without spending a fortune. I have no clue where I’m heading, except I want to use my bicycle frame fence and cut up the frames to make something crude and cheap. I took 3 or 4 of the frames out of the fence before they were frozen in, the rest of the parts I will cut out of the frozen to the ground frames. The frames I took out are buried in the snow but I know where to dig them out. I keep having an idea and then change it, almost daily for a month. I have kind of settled on the rear triangle design and I might have a vague idea for a fork. Here is my preliminary thoughts for the rear triangle suspension. It will use old Melling high performance twin spring valve springs from who knows what engine, nuts, bolts, bushing and washers all to be welded up into old Sears and Roadmaster head tubes to cobble together a plunger rear suspension. My calculations indicate it will take about 600 pounds to bottom out the springs, but using the Pythagorean theorem to build a deer blind left me cross eyed with a headache. It does not bode well for me to have to use math to build a bicycle. What goes in between the rear triangle and fork is unknown. I’m leaning toward a gender bender stretch. These ideas are all out of character for me, I don’t know what’s going on with my brain. Here is the plunger valve spring idea thing sitting on my work table awaiting further ideas. The bushing is tight to the shaft, but slides with no play, and the bolt fits into the springs with minimal play. I think I’ll have to take a 1/4 inch off the head tube length before I can cram it all in there using vice grips with a plate welded on to compress the springs into the tube.
image.jpg

Last edited:
using the Pythagorean theorem to build a deer blind left me cross eyed with a headache
I'm in for the comedy. The bike will be a bonus.
By the way, A²+B²=confusion² equals a blind deer in Canadian math.

I'm in for the comedy. The bike will be a bonus.
By the way, A²+B²=confusion² equals a blind deer in Canadian math.
Yeah, it’s definitely a joke.

The deer were daylight blind this year, I only saw one legal deer. It was too small to bother with but had long spikes. There was a 4, 6 and 8 point that kept passing through at night on our deer TV. I mostly just cook, play cards, watch TV and take saunas now a days. Oh, and I have to try and talk my buddies out of bad ideas, like driving drunk to the UPs only strip club. For the last two years I have prevailed but I have a low give a dam factor so I’m ready to give up on them. The club is in McFarland, an unincorporated crossroad farm town on the edge of the Sears Swamp, a depressing spot. They specialize in hefty farm stock.

I’m after cool, different looking, not function. This plunger rear suspension has less travel than a Walmart mountain bike shock. It does travel, though. After this first one is done the second one will go faster. I have to buy a $5.00 kids bike to hack off the track style ends to weld onto the slider tab. More welding and shaping is needed.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back