Red Roadster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike came to me as a bare frame & fork obtained at a swap last year. It started life as a 2005 model Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS.
Build thread here: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/red-roadster-completed.102353/

48798_18a12f6ded35a6c187a364d15cb6797c.JPG

Red roadster specs.
Frame: 2005 Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS ride-tuned steel frame with bend seat stays
Fork: Schwinn Heavy Duti solid fork
Handlebar/Stem: vintage Ross lightweight handlebar and Schwinn Heavy Duti stem
Grips: vintage Hunt Wilde red metalflake
Shifter: vintage Shimano SIS grip shift
Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Brakes: alloy front caliper type and alloy rear linear pull type
Levers: alloy mountain bike type
Crank: vintage 52 and 40 t SR Japan Silstar model
Pedals: Rat trap pedals came along with the crank from a 1980s Schwinn road bike
Freewheel: Shimano 6-speed 14-28T freewheel
Rims: 26" x 1.5" alloy from Huffy mountain bike
Tires: red Duro 26" x 2.125" street rib tread
Seat: vintage black Mesinger saddle
Fenders: used plastic Planet bike fenders added vintage glass reflector
Headlight: vintage Royce Union generator type
Rack: vintage Japanese rear spring type with an added "eight ball" from an old pool trophy
Number of Speeds: 6
The 3pc crank was equipped with 52 and 40 t chainwheels. Due to lack of clearance,
the 40 tooth chainring had to be removed.
Calculated gear inches using 52 t front sprocket are as follows:
1st gear 28 t = 49 gear inches
2nd gear 24 t = 56 gear inches
3rd gear 21 t = 64 gear inches
4th gear 18 t = 75 gear inches
5th gear 16 t = 85 gear inches
6th gear 14 t = 97 gear inches.

side 1.JPG
side 3.JPG
side 2.JPG
side 1.JPG
iso 1.JPG
iso 2.JPG
iso 3.JPG
iso 4.JPG
iso 5.JPG
iso 6.JPG

Attachments

• snow iso 2.JPG
    snow iso 2.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I bet it's a nice rider!
Yes, it rides amazing. I'm surprised I don't miss the front suspension fork at all. Also surprised I can get it up some of our steep hills with the "Tall" ratio of the road bike front sprocket!
Bars and shifter.JPG
Kind of a funky Shimano early SIS twist shift, there is a short internal cable that drives the gear indicator. Looking on the 'net Shimano made some with external indicators that look like little tachs and had longer cables, guess this was the cheaper one from one of the last Murray built bikes. Hunt Wilde grips were a swap meet find and look awesome in the sun!

Also if anyone has a favorite pic which you think would be best for the voting thread please let me know. I may try to take more pictures but another sunny day before the deadline may be hard to come by here. (Snow tomorrow.) :(

Last edited:
I will this isn't your typical Rat style , but it is a sharp looking bike and those tires & bars really give it a great custom look. I bet it is one of your over all best rides. This is one of those go any where do anything type of bikes . Nice job [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like those tires man! Have fun with this!

I like those tires man! Have fun with this!
Thanks Kingfish! I bought them at Ann Arbor swap a couple of years ago, Guy I bought them from only had the pair. He said they had been sitting in his garage for a while, I tried them on a couple bikes and they never looked "right" till I got this frame. I used to wish they were the brick color till I built this. :)

Got 'er out in the snow but the temp crept up to 35 so its more like rain now. Got a couple pics by my old Willys cab. Took a few detailed close ups too.
small snow iso 1.JPG
small snow iso 2.JPG
detail 1.JPG
detail 2.JPG
detail 3.JPG
detail 4.JPG
detail 5.JPG
detail 6.JPG
detail 7.JPG

Latest posts

Back