Removing BB bearing cup / shell

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 cups inserted into the BB shell on a frame, how to get em out? Just a hammer and chisel kinda thing? It worked on the headtube cups, but having a hard time with the BB.

BB10.jpg
http://bikeoverhaul.blogspot.com/2006/08/removing-one-piece-crank-from-frame.html

I've been using a blunt metal tool, hitting it as hard as I can.. Guess I'll have to hit harder. Havent damaged it so far:D I tried buying these cups online, but could not find one for the life of me. Neither could I find a 3-piece BB that would fit this size. But this is Norway, so cruiser parts are hard to find anyway.. I bought a raw frame, thinking that the cups would come with. Now I'm stealing them for a frame I had laying around anyway.

I take a large brass punch and a dead blow hammer to get them out, which is handy because you have the hammer there to put them back in :D I am a bit of a redneck though.

Could be a little rusty, maybe heat the outside and try a little penetrating oil.

Hit the cups bit by bit with a torch from the inside but do it carefully, otherwise you will smoke the paint. Beat on it between heating sessions, and they should break free.

I use a crowbar and pound. The off set lets you get in there better than using a cold chisel. My old 60's bicycle repair manual recommends a cold chisel but the crowbar is better. I usually loose them because they go flying across my shop floor and end out hidden under other junk. If it won't budge use a mallet, and if it still won'd budge use a sledge hammer. The cups are hardened steel and I have yet to damage one. Replacements are cheap anyway. What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? Somethings gotta give.

Latest posts

Back