RETROADSTER, a quad tandem

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
145
Location
Thuringia, Germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nose panel is attached now to the front hood.
DSCF1205s25.jpg

Now the side panels !
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
145
Location
Thuringia, Germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building update:
DSCF1212s25.jpg

DSCF1213s25.jpg

DSCF1214s25.jpg

DSCF1215s25.jpg

A windscreen and a soft top are the following steps, and then the decal.
Or the decal at first ???
I want to paint just the edges of the body in green, to hide all the screwheads.
The rest will get a clear finish and maybe the border between green and wood will get white stripes.

Kai
 
Last edited:
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
145
Location
Thuringia, Germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OHP: It's heavy. If you want one, you better live in the flats.
We've cycled a 60km/40mls tour last weekend.
No real ascents at all, what means no problems, a nice ride.
But a climb of 100m/330ft elevation for example will kill you.
The pilots side is therefore fitted with the Alfine 11.
The 409% range of this hub makes a reasonable cadence possible.

By the way, here are the latest pics.
The tail has the color scheme I want for hiding the screws.
DSCF1219s25.jpg

DSCF1221s25.jpg

As you can see, I retained the wooden look.
The green has pearl effect, but I found now a normal paint would look better in combination with wood.

I'm still not really lucky with the front.
It looks too short, too wide, too straight.
Not the curvy appearance of the tail.
The headlights have to be bigger and closer together.
I'm still searching for suitable headlights.

Kai
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
145
Location
Thuringia, Germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a great time last weekend at the Maker Faire Hannover.
Our velocar was not only exhibited, we offered free rides to all.
I estimate around 300 people rode with our vehicle during the weekend.
Nothing is broken, the vehicle is still in one part.
Only two small repairs, a weared braking cable and one of the chains has to be re-riveted.

yKzlmuQuOV-zyyWyNe-BOy4i_tx2N-yPMPDAwGFUVUk=w1260-h709-no

Custom made cruisers from power-bikes

20150606_112207.jpg

Explaining my somewhat odd steering mechanism to the people

20150607_171306.jpg

Steam punk at it's finest

20150607_104917.jpg

The guys from the next stand

20150606_120943.jpg


20150606_121509.jpg

Another velocar showed up. Nicely done bodywork, hand laminated over a plug.

More pics in my blog post.

Kai
 
Last edited:
Joined
Feb 16, 2015
Messages
169
Reaction score
105
Location
DFW
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for sharing the story of your build. It was very interesting, informative and entertaining.
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
145
Location
Thuringia, Germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After nearly a year I'm working again on the color scheme of the velocar.
The front part (birch plywood) developed a lot of black fungus spots in the not so dry garage.
It looked horrible ugly
A remarkable fact is that all pine plywood parts (the rear body sides) are still in good condition , although painted with the same varnish.
Seems, birch is not really suitable for moisture exposed parts like wheels wells or vehicle bodywork in general.
To rescue the body parts I sanded the old varnish and most of the fungus down and painted it the same color like the rear body.
Luckily the most fungus spots were at the lower portions of the panels, which now are blue.
13227621_1085405391500754_8566026031056681951_o.jpg


13247785_1085405778167382_6049980083302725296_o.jpg


13247745_1085406184834008_3747444129188631732_o.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics.
I crashed my new phone and had to take the pictures with a rather old one
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
7,108
Reaction score
10,830
Location
central ohio
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Lookin' good man, I hope you killed the mold growth.

This thing reminds me of the motorized buckboards during the depression I've read about.
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
145
Location
Thuringia, Germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday I made a rear window for the cabrio roof:

rearwindow.jpg


rearwindowsepia.jpg


To get an oval shape without wrinkles, I made an additional plywood frame for the window, nearly 1 inch wide.
I clamped the frame and window together and drilled a row of holes through both.
These holes are necessary for stitching.
First, the frame alone was sewed onto the roof and the fabric folded+glued around the inner edge of the frame.
Then I sewed the glass (acrylic/plexiglass) to the frame, using the same holes again for stitching, what means I made two seams.
Sounds complicated, but is easier to make and gives the possibility of exchanging the glass when scratched.

13555595_255142434857801_1137200204_o.jpg


13530281_255142464857798_1786648712_n.jpg


Here you can see, my seams are far away from perfect.
It only looks good from a distance ;)
 

Latest posts

Top