Reverse Articulating Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for just dropping a link and running away, my phone's camera stopped working a while back and I didn't have anything else to add.

I wanted to make a reverse trike like this about 8 years ago and always just thought about making the 2 front wheels fixed with the ability to just lean and ride on 2 wheels instead of 3, but then it would always be twitchy on 3 wheels at speed like reverse upright trikes can be.

Then I considered using 2 suspension forks, but that would just be super bulky and still not great.

Finally the other night I came up with this simple idea and it worked great.

If you watched the video you know I have an alignment problem, but for something put together in just a few hours, it's just right.

To do this RIGHT right though, I would use a drill press to get the holes through the forks straight (that's where my issue is, I just eyeballed and hand drilled). Then I would put sleeves in the holes and weld them in. The pivot brackets could be just as primitive as the ones I made, but better if they were actually measured, I did not. haha Finally, assembly with nice nylon washers in conjunction with regular washers and nylock nuts to set your tension would be great.

I think this simple design has more uses that just a freak bike. Also, you could go as narrow as you want or much wider with good results.

I'd like to find a way to do similar on a regular trike, but the chainline would be an issue.

If you ever come up this way again let me know so I can unload a pile of old frames wheels various parts perhaps some dirt cheap or free whole bikes on you. :crazy: :rofl:

I like the idea.
If you had a straight leg fork, maybe you could omit the pipe and welding by just removing one leg and using the single legged fork as the center spindle.
SUNLITE_26_FORK - Copy.jpg

I was looking at sidecar plans recently and noticed they liked to have a little toe out for stability at higher speeds. I'd like to try your idea using 26" front tires.

I like the idea.
If you had a straight leg fork, maybe you could omit the pipe and welding by just removing one leg and using the single legged fork as the center
I was looking at sidecar plans recently and noticed they liked to have a little toe out for stability at higher speeds. I'd like to try your idea using 26" front tires.

I save all my straight leg forks as they are hard to come by, plus, the down pipe I used is thicker wall than a fork because I figured this setup could put a lot of stress on it.

I’d like to see this with 26” tires, that would be cool. Wider would be cool too, but I didn’t want to go crazy and make it too wide, that’s a think I don’t like with trikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back