Riff Ratt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to get the cantis back where they should be using blocks of wood and steel bars for leverage. The bracket is loose and hanging down, but it's right in line with the shock position.
repair canti 3 Jul 21.jpg

My plan to reinforce the frame is using parts from the original frame, the chain stays. I'm going to cut them to length, remove the dropouts and have my welder guy weld them in. One on each side should give plenty of support. There's room for the supports to bolt on also.
chain stays 3 jul 21.jpg

dropout brace 3 jul 21.jpg

For under 20 bucks (much more than he usually gets paid) I had the welder make a house call and get it all done. He welded up the two struts and filled in a hole from the v brake boss on the modded fork. Then he ground everything.
weld 1 5 jun 21.jpg

welding 5 5 jul 21.jpg

I thought I needed to get more paint, but there was just enough left, and black really covers well. I put it back together to check the height and it looks ok.
assembly 5 Jul 21.jpg

I adjusted the front spring to give a little height up front temporarily. I can get a longer bolt and longer spring to raise the front.
There's some slag in the seat tube, so the seat won't go down any further. I used my dremel for awhile grinding the inside nubs, but gave up for today. It just needs a little more. The bent pedal cage was an easy fix, I could almost bend the steel by hand.
paint and pedal 5 Jul 21.jpg

dremel 5 Jul 21.jpg

Last edited:
The center stand would scrape the ground, so I tried to let the arms go higher in the housing to make room, but that didn't work, the travel didn't go much farther even though I cut a big slot out.
stand cut out 6 Jul 21.jpg

So I decided to bend the arms to get clearance. I used my weight on a block of wood to get a bend.
stand bend 6 Jul 21.jpg

It worked! Now the bike has a good center stand and somehow it is balanced. I can work on the front or rear wheel of the bike just by leaning it forward or back. I finally got the seat tube reamed out and the seat is where it should be, lower than shown here. I shortened the chain and moved the tensioner to put more chain on the cog. Hope that fixes the skip problem. Ready for test ride #2. Probably another video too.
stand 6 jul 21.jpg

I want to raise the front by having a longer spring, that also brings the angle of the forks to a better riding position, less trail as the spring cage moves farther away from the mount. So, I get an inch of height with better steering. I used the rubber grommet and washer on the inside to add some length with the spring and it worked, but it had a gap at the front. I dismantled one of the extra shocks I have to see if that spring might work better. It's just an inch longer but fits right in. I use the same bolt, just leave off the rubber grommet at the front, about 3/4ths inch gain. No need for a longer bolt. It'll get a large washer on the inside but it's good for now.

springs 6 Jul 21.jpg

large spring 6 Jul 21.jpg

Last edited:
A dry day today, so it was good for a ride. The test ride went well. The bigger spring was not as strong as the original so it actually compressed more, allowing the front to sit lower. The band brake housing needs one more washer, it began touching the spokes after I used the brakes a few times. There were a couple skips when I put my weight on the pedals but other than that, everything was good. I didn't see that motorbike behind me because he came down the hill with the motor off. He could coast for a half mile before he had to start it, saves gas. There's another steep drop right past where I turned back, then a flat, followed by another long steep descent to the main gate.

Digging the rides man! Your braces for the cantis didn't interrupt the flow of the bike either. Looks sharp.
The backward knee bend of the kickstand is perfect for the funky curves of the build too.
I really like this build and seeing how much fun you are having with it too!

All I have to do is eat, sleep, and work on my bike. That's a perfect retirement!
I was looking for better pedals after the flimsy ones bent so easily. I saw these for about 20 bucks and liked the vintage look:
pedals 3 9 Jul 21.jpg

Then I had an idea. I still have some copper left
pedals1 9 Jul 21.jpg

so I made the cheap ones a little stronger and made them look better too, and they match the chain wheel:

pedals 2 9 Jul 21 - Copy.jpg

Digging the rides man! Your braces for the cantis didn't interrupt the flow of the bike either. Looks sharp.
The backward knee bend of the kickstand is perfect for the funky curves of the build too.
I really like this build and seeing how much fun you are having with it too!
I noticed that also about the cantis. For the insert, I can extend it back farther. One panel on each side. I taped an extra piece on the template to get an idea of how it would look.
insert 9 Jul 21.jpg

I need to decide what goes on the insert, if anything. Teeth nose art or maybe a manifold like the old JC Higgins. I might do a 12 cylinder exhaust like the Rolls Royce Merlin, 6 pipes on each side. I've got plenty of space.
shark.jpg

manifold.jpg

merlin.jpg

I mounted the plate using copper wire and washers. I'm still on the hunt for a curved piece of steel or copper for the handlebar brace. I decided against a frame insert, it'll stay like it is to show off the upside down cantis. It might be just about done.

tag2.jpg

I like the 'open' curvy frame design showing through as well. Keep those multiple angled , diverse background photos coming!

Latest posts

Back