Riff Ratt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember where the seat came from too, you threw that in as a extra when we did business back in Florida. That's the same seat but been aged somewhat. Also, the handle grips came off the portafold from back then also. I'm not sure if I'll use them but they are more comfortable than the others I have.

View attachment 161414

Oh yeah, That was one of the seats that I bought on vacation in Malaca, Malaysia in 2012

1623766591412.png

Lol the toughest part of the BO is the ride video. Easy way to eliminate the competition:wink1: I hope no one requests one from me
I'll go ahead and read the instructions on how to do it, if I can find them.
Logging on to Google is a nightmare. They keep wanting more info. I finally gave up. Now I realize I can just post a vid to the Ratrodbikes page on FB.

I took the springer apart to clean up the ragged edges. I'll be doing a lot of grinding down of the ends of everything to make them somewhat presentable.
I've used a couple of brass nuts for spacers on the fork, but I have a section of chrome tubing from a donor frame that is the same size as the springer crown, so I'll use a tubing cutter and make spacers that match the crown and give a little more width.
Then I thought of the rear brackets. I can make spacers to go between them using what's left of the tubing and not have to use all those lock washers.
work 17 Jun 21.JPG

I was ready to start trimming the parts when the handlebars showed up. They are exactly what they were advertised as, I was afraid they would be smaller. When it cools off a little I'll get back to work.
bars 17 Jun 21.JPG

Logging on to Google is a nightmare. They keep wanting more info. I finally gave up. Now I realize I can just post a vid to the Ratrodbikes page on FB.
Hey WC, if you do post vids on FB, share the link here in a comment. That way you can connect us here on the forum as well.

That didn't work either, couldn't get a short vid of the welding to upload to FB. I'll keep at it.

"Old guys are always sawing wood." That was an observation from my daughter back several years ago.

I cut out a template for the insert to use to layout a design of some kind or just have a blank.
template 20 Jun 21.JPG

It shows where my angles were off a little. I could go with a lightning bolt like the AC/DC emblem as the insert or as a cutout. I also am thinking about making it into a cross section of Malcolm Young's famous Gretsch with the missing pickups.
2411916821_gtr_frt_001_rr-696x254 - Copy.png

I lucked out again. The rear stand showed up and is a heavy duty model, not the flimsy type I thought might show up. It's big also, the tire clears and it's just the right height for the bike. No mods needed.

rear stand 21 Jun 21.JPG

I still use a primer with that paint if I remember right I think it says for best results to use a primer especially if painting bare metal.
I re-read the label on the ad, it says paint and primer on the label, but then recommends primer in the instructions.
Since it's semi- gloss black and it's a rat bike anyway, I'll skip the primer and try to get it all done with one can of paint. If that doesn't cut it, I still have plenty of time to redo it with something different or get the primer also. One other option is to take it to one of the many body shops in town and get it painted professionally for a low price.

Working on other things while waiting on paint. I wanted to add a brace to my bars and have leftover struts from the front end that will work. Leftover copper will get made into the two brackets.

crossbar 23 Jun 21.JPG

I needed to size up the brackets, and found coaster brake arm clips to be just the right size for the handlebars. I can flatten one and use it to make copper ones. I mounted up one of the struts and it looks too small. I might want a curved brace also. Maybe one made of copper tubing.

crossbar 24 Jun 21.JPG

Satin black showed up, that's ok by me. That's close to flat black so it's good. I don't have a good place to paint now that the bunker is complete, so I'll use the wife's clothes hanger tree thing and paint out in the street tomorrow. It says it dries fast so that's a big help. We get rain everyday now but at least it's a little cooler.
ructoleum 2x 25 Jun 21.JPG

20 minutes in the sunshine was plenty! Heat index was about 95. It's naptime.
The paint went on nicely and had just a little overspray. It covered well, the second coat wasn't really needed. I have a little left for touchup. I painted out in the street, no shade to be had. Then moved everything inside the garage to dry completely. Not much overspray on my wife's clothes dryer rack.
I just noticed the cantilevers follow the same curve as the downtube, looks like one long curve.

paint 26 Jun 21.JPG

Latest posts

Back