Riki-Tiki-Rati (update "mystical driftwood tank")

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Riki-Tiki-Rati

Oh well...if I was a bike purist I wouldn't be in a Rat Rod site, I would be spending too much money and time looking for correct parts and matching paint for a restoration and maybe selling the finished bike on E-bay for thousands of dollars. :D

I know I'm not the first and most likely not the last person to use wood for a bike tank...but my tank I will call the mystical driftwood. As usual I traced the area to be cut and then transfered it to the wood, I then used a wire wheel to age the wood and bring out the grain.
SANY0110f.jpg

...now that both sides of the tank is weathered to my liking...
SANY0121f.jpg

...I routered out the area within the tank to accept a very powerful neodymium magnet (pull force of 80 lbs)
SANY0123f.jpg

...Voila!!! a handy lighter holder(or whatever I want)...magnetic wood
SANY0124f.jpg

...since the pulling force is 80 lbs... there is about 1/4 inch of wood encasing the magnet from the actual surface thus giving it a pulling force about 20-35 lbs depending on the density of the object being placed. To remove whatever is stuck, you just simply slide it off rather than pull. Its great to see the look on the face of people when I tell my bike to catch and toss my lighter at it.
SANY0126f.jpg

SANY0137f.jpg

...I also put on one of the most beat up Brooks saddle I can find and afford.
SANY0132f.jpg

...I put these tires on simply because of the fact it said "Electric Bicycle use only" plus the red thunderbolt matched the red on the bike.
SANY0136f.jpg

This is the nearly completed bike...all that is left for me to do is to paint the tank with some sort of retro 50's-60's Hawaiian tiki-esque design

SANY0135f.jpg

The next update will be the finnished bike Thanks :D

Re: Riki-Tiki-Rati(update "mystical driftwood tank")

JoeyMac said:
:shock: too cool man. 8)
herr_rudolf said:
That is sooo cool! Congrats on a very nice bike. That wood turned out beautiful...
I love this site for all the people who try things differently and still and up with a nice bike, if not THE nicest...
TommyTwoTime said:
wicked cool! Very nice build.
FunkyStickman said:
I am extremely jealous. That is a true creative masterpiece. I love the bloody chainwheel and finger, that's epic!
mastronaut said:
Nice! Love the bars, the tank, the stance....
Thanks, I just hope when I paint the tank, I dont ruin it :| :roll: :)
Feralkid said:
man that looks like my bike

jake001.jpg

i guess great minds think alike :D
Yes we do...love the clubman ace handlebars...you have good taste, but I must say, your seatpost is MONEY!!!

haha thanks just took the original post and and cut it at a 50 degree angle and my dad had it welded at work and yeah i love those bars they are so awesome :D oh one more thing about the seat post is to make sure your seat fits good before you cut it because i had problems with another seat that would pivot if i leaned too hard :lol:

HotRodJen said:
im loving that tiki i need to find me some of that stuff to play around with
yep its great stuff...I have some leftover that I will let you have to mess with, I'll give it to you on the bike ride on 8/9

Latest posts

Back