Rocinante my Krusty Klunker!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty late to the game on this one. I've been swamped with house and car projects for most of this year so far with no end in sight. But I recently checked in to see how things are in the bike world and started browsing the build off bikes. What a bunch of great stuff! Shoestring by @Bike from the Dead got me inspired to build up my rusty post war 24" frame so I could join in the fun. It's going to be a really quick basic build using just stuff I have laying around in the parts stash. A Bitsa per say. I'd like to get more creative but I'll wait for next year for that as there just isn't time this year. So off to the parts barn to see what's shaking:

IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG

Welcome to the fun of BO17.
Just watch out on those sideways cinder block steps and don't break an ankle getting your bike out!! :D

Last edited:
Rocinante was the name of Don Quixote's horse and roughly translates to broken down old nag. I think that's fairly appropriate for this build. But it will be fun! Here's the stuff I dragged out today to try to get this project started and mull over some options. Several frames, forks, etc., plus a 24" parts donor and a 26" parts donor.
IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG

I started doing some mock ups to see what I might like. I wasn't crazy about the look of the Amp Research fork on the rusty 24". I'd really like to build up the Shelby but the seat post tube is a bit roached and I don't have a seat post that would fit it anyways. The drop tube frame didn't really do anything for me so onwards.
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG

I added a 27" front wheel from a different old 10 speed I pulled out of the trash, a SR slingshot stem, Honda 305 scrambler bars, rear wheel from the 24" donor and an old Brooks. It's going to get the crankset from the pink Schwinn. I'll play around with front wheel options too, this one looks a little funky to me.
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
I'm going to try to get a caliper brake set up on the back. Or maybe rebuild the wheel with a coaster hub. I just need to learn to build wheels real quick. That's as far as I got today. I'll have more time to spend on it later in the week. 😄

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty late to the game on this one. I've been swamped with house and car projects for most of this year so far with no end in sight. But I recently checked in to see how things are in the bike world and started browsing the build off bikes. What a bunch of great stuff! Shoestring by @Bike from the Dead got me inspired to build up my rusty post war 24" frame so I could join in the fun. It's going to be a really quick basic build using just stuff I have laying around in the parts stash. A Bitsa per say. I'd like to get more creative but I'll wait for next year for that as there just isn't time this year. So off to the parts barn to see what's shaking:

View attachment 204263View attachment 204264View attachment 204265
Another Monark frame with smooth dropouts.

View attachment 204263View attachment 204264View attachment 204265

I really like the amp shock. My favorite part about it is how good it would look in my garage! Lol you've got some good stuff in those piles, should be able to turn out a pretty cool little rat
Thanks Matti. My buddy bought that fork new in about 1991. We've both ridden it a fair amount. I really like it. It's going to go on another vintage mountain bike some day, maybe a Proflex.

I think I'm going to do another mock up with the Amp fork and a 26" wheel and see how that looks now. I need to cold set the frame to fit the modern rear wheel too. I'd love to see a set of apes on here but I must have gotten rid of mine. Or buried them good. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Wildcat. I had no idea what this frame was. Eventually I think I may paint it but for now it's going to be a rusty build. Does anyone happen to know what the red drop tube frame is? I'm planning to convert that one to a boys frame some day just for fun because I've never done it before.

Rocinante was the name of Don Quixote's horse and roughly translates to broken down old nag. I think that's fairly appropriate for this build. But it will be fun! Here's the stuff I dragged out today to try to get this project started and mull over some options. Several frames, forks, etc., plus a 24" parts donor and a 26" parts donor.View attachment 204266View attachment 204267View attachment 204268
I can tell by this assortment of parts that this build is going to result in a really cool bike......

Thanks for that Wildcat. I had no idea what this frame was. Eventually I think I may paint it but for now it's going to be a rusty build. Does anyone happen to know what the red drop tube frame is? I'm planning to convert that one to a boys frame some day just for fun because I've never done it before.
The red bike is a Colson looptail.
1660484019403.png

Looking good so far Pondo! Glad I was able to provide you with the inspiration needed to throw together your own bike using what you have. I'm excited to see where it goes!
Thanks again! This is a fun project. I'm debating keeping the rear gears and adding a derailleur so I can do some dirt roads with it.

You can call me late, just don't call me late for dinner! Welcome to the BO 17 fun, @Pondo .

RaT oN~!

You can call me late, just don't call me late for dinner! Welcome to the BO 17 fun, @Pondo .

RaT oN~!
Thanks @OddJob ! I just started reading your "Lengthy Insanity" build. That thing is going to be killer.

Correction: "Lengthy Insanity" is by @Ulu
"Silver King Unchained" is by @OddJob
Both killer builds. I love creativity and quality work. Sorry for the mixup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back