Rockafella - 1953 Ruff Firestone Super Cruiser - Completed Ride Video +MajorAward+RollingStoneCover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Well vacation is over and I'm a month behind everyone else in the Rat Rod Bike Build Off 12. I'm still not sure if I have time to finish by August 1st, but I'm going to jump in anyway. I am inspired by my Filipino bike brothers that I was lucky to meet while in Manila. They joked around about building a bike in 8 days, so here is what I'm starting with. I have a Ruff Dean frame and I'm gonna use the cool parts from this 1953 Firestone Super Cruiser. The name of the build is gonna be "Rockafella". Going for an old school vibe with a modern chopper frame.

IMG_4761_zps9ehaafg6.jpg

a12983801_259545201053438_7716580791083885849_o (1).jpg

Parts List for Rockafella
Thanks to all of the guys that I bought or traded with to get this cool parts to build Rockafella!

Ruff Dean frame - @Jarod24
Shelby Springer fork - @Jarod24
Felby handlebars - @karfer67
Ladies Firestone Super Cruiser donor bike - Lucky (my local salvage guy)
Perfect match Gumby green Flexgrip grips - @Dr. Tankenstein
Felt 24x3 whitewall Thick Brick El Guapo wheelset - @DJ-FADES
Monark rear fender reflector (used on front fender) - @pick
Sign language Peace and Love valve caps - @eparsons
Fender rivet screws - @Mark Davo

Last edited:
reserved for future use :)

Way to go I have a similar idea with my build also but I don't think I will get finished on time .
I'm really surprised the firestone never sold . Such a cool bike . They should look great married together [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do it. I remember watching your first build off bike, with hour by hour updates to get it done in time.

You can do it. I remember watching your first build off bike, with hour by hour updates to get it done in time.

:21: I remember that one too. I built BEER RUN in 30 days. Man that was fun and it kept changing over and over too. No real plan, just try stuff out and see if it works.

Yeah the King is in. :praise:
Now lets get some building done. We are both behind 1 mth...
Looks like you had fun traveling,meeting and riding with fellow builders.
Interested in what you roll out this year.

I just did an 'overlay' (think of the old overhead projectors in science class where the teacher laid one transparency over another) in my mind. The curves of your frame and the old Firestone Monark follow some similar lines. Love the colors on the Firestone....hope they survive the 'cut'! :wink1:
RaT oN!

Welcome - glad to have you in the BO with us!!

It's been almost TWO days....and......NOTHING!

The only work I did so far was remove the Firestone Super Cruiser headbadge from the 1953 ladies bike.

20170603_151908.jpg
20170603_152217.jpg

I did make a little room in my shop and pulled together some of the parts I am thinking of using on this build.

Killer fatty and fat spoke 3 speed wheelset from @ind-chuckz

20170603_195627.jpg

Thudbuster seatpost from @yoothgeye . Not sure if it will make the cut, but it's the only seatpost I currently have that will fit the Dean.

20170603_195629.jpg

The Ruff Dean frame of course will make it. I got this a while back from @Jarod24

20170603_195632.jpg

I am thinking about using a Girvin fork with a faux springer twist similar to the Beehive Girvin I did on starsNbars. The orange Girvin is from @bighit's Bully build.

20170603_195650.jpg
20170603_195655.jpg

I am definitely using the deep wheel Monark/Firestone fenders and the beautiful original paint is staying along with the train light.

20170603_195703.jpg

I hope to also be able to use the guard with it's original paint and lettering. I think the cream will clean up well.

20170603_195706.jpg

I have an idea on how to widen and make the ladies horn tank wrap the top bar on the Ruff. I love the lettering and graphics and hope to clean up the cream part some as well.

20170603_195709.jpg

The WF/Hawthorne skirt guards are a possibility, but we'll have to see how the build progresses.

20170603_195711.jpg

Latest posts

Back