Rocky

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join the group, this will be my first build with RRB. I got into vintage bikes about 3 years ago
when my daughter was born. I was looking for something to tinker with in the garage during her naps and after bedtime.
So I picked up my first bike and the rest is history, the addiction is real lol. I asked my daughter what I should name my build
and she said Rocky. He is a character in Paw Patrol and his motto is ' Don`t lose it reuse it". I said that is perfect, and exactly
what I plan on doing. I will be using a old Columbia frame my father had laying around. It has really cool weathering/ patina
so I will keep the paint OG, my plan is to keep it old school cool. I`d like to try a homemade tank and few other tricks but we
will see where it goes.!
Thanks again, it will be fun watching all of the other projects..!
bike frame.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me join the group, this will be my first build with RRB. I got into vintage bikes about 3 years ago
when my daughter was born. I was looking for something to tinker with in the garage during her naps and after bedtime.
So I picked up my first bike and the rest is history, the addiction is real lol. I asked my daughter what I should name my build
and she said Rocky. He is a character in Paw Patrol and his motto is ' Don`t lose it reuse it". I said that is perfect, and exactly
what I plan on doing. I will be using a old Columbia frame my father had laying around. It has really cool weathering/ patina
so I will keep the paint OG, my plan is to keep it old school cool. I`d like to try a homemade tank and few other tricks but we
will see where it goes.!
Thanks again, it will be fun watching all of the other projects..!
That thing is gorgeous!!!!! Can't wait to see how it evolves :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard, and that is a great frame to start with! I have built a couple of Columbias, and they are fun and ride great too.

When you upload a photo to your post, click on the Full Image selection, then we will see the up close and personal version.

bike frame.JPG

Welcome aboard, and that is a great frame to start with! I have built a couple of Columbias, and they are fun and ride great too.

When you upload a photo to your post, click on the Full Image selection, then we will see the up close and personal version.

View attachment 155943
Thanks I appreciate you looking and for the the tip on posting full images ..!

Your father has good taste!! That is a killer Columbia base!
I love the name and motto. Welcome to the fun!!

Hey thanks, I’m debating trying linseed oil on it to make the colors pop? I’m just not sure tho !
@CruJones , another effect to keep that vintage vibe, but bring out the colors too, is using shellac over the paint. And with your green and cream color combo, it might look really cool!

Just rub it on with a tightly woven cotton rag, so you don't leave any fibers in the finish. I like Zinssers Amber Shellac because the hint of amber adds a little flavor to the finish.

zinssers bulls eye shellac.jpg

I see they have spray cans of it too now. I've never tried that method. It really dries fast, in just minutes like the can says, so you get an idea of the look right away after application.

For years guys have used it on cloth handle bar tape to make it more durable and water resistant. Some use it on leather saddles as well for the same purpose. Guys on here have used it for frames, and I really like the look!

Last year, in RRB BO #15, @SoulGarageOH used the amber shellac to make his custom patina fenders and fork match his original Schwinn paint on the frame. It worked out great! And, he was one of 5 lucky winners of the OddJob Award for RaT-isfaction (more on that as our build - off progresses!)

Here's the 'before photo' of his replacement fork (the original had a broken steer tube) and his fenders that he added a wide racing stripe to and then 'rat-tina jobbed' them:
cf1e64989105851abbd3ef1745628d36.jpg

You can see how the fork and rear fender are more white than the naturally yellowed darts and head tube paint. This is after he applied the Bulls Eye Amber Shellac to fork and fenders:

20200720_075428.jpg

Just enough to blend it all together nicely.

Anyway, I think your Columbia would be a great candidate for this technique. RaT oN~!

@CruJones , another effect to keep that vintage vibe, but bring out the colors too, is using shellac over the paint. And with your green and cream color combo, it might look really cool!

Just rub it on with a tightly woven cotton rag, so you don't leave any fibers in the finish. I like Zinssers Amber Shellac because the hint of amber adds a little flavor to the finish.

View attachment 156110

I see they have spray cans of it too now. I've never tried that method. It really dries fast, in just minutes like the can says, so you get an idea of the look right away after application.

For years guys have used it on cloth handle bar tape to make it more durable and water resistant. Some use it on leather saddles as well for the same purpose. Guys on here have used it for frames, and I really like the look!

Last year, in RRB BO #15, @SoulGarageOH used the amber shellac to make his custom patina fenders and fork match his original Schwinn paint on the frame. It worked out great! And, he was one of 5 lucky winners of the OddJob Award for RaT-isfaction (more on that as our build - off progresses!)

Here's the 'before photo' of his replacement fork (the original had a broken steer tube) and his fenders that he added a wide racing stripe to and then 'rat-tina jobbed' them:
View attachment 156116

You can see how the fork and rear fender are more white than the naturally yellowed darts and head tube paint. This is after he applied the Bulls Eye Amber Shellac to fork and fenders:

View attachment 156115

Just enough to blend it all together nicely.

Anyway, I think your Columbia would be a great candidate for this technique. RaT oN~!
Boy I really appreciate the detailed message and pictures. I’ve used shellac on wood before but never on metal . I’m going to try some on a old fender that I have. Sounds like it could be a really cool idea ! Thanks again !

Hey, those re-spoked wheels turned out well. New spokes in vintage hoops is a good way to go, and very 'rat rod'. Dig the clay tires too. I'd say you made some good progress!

RaT oN~!

Boy I really appreciate the detailed message and pictures. I’ve used shellac on wood before but never on metal . I’m going to try some on a old fender that I have. Sounds like it could be a really cool idea ! Thanks again !

I’ve had buddies mix shellac and satin or flat urethane to knock down the sheen and give a harder final finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, those re-spoked wheels turned out well. New spokes in vintage hoops is a good way to go, and very 'rat rod'. Dig the clay tires too. I'd say you made some good progress!

RaT oN~!
Thanks much..! its my first pair of clay tires and I like the look as well, its getting me motivated for sure!

Latest posts

Back