Rocky

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love the steampunk vibe you have going on in this build! The machine parts, claxon horn and speedo add to it as well as your paintjob and choice of parts!
Keep the good stuff coming! I'm especially curious as how the other side of the tank looks... :wink1:
Thanks for looking and the positive comments! Hopefully I will have the other side of the tank done this weekend!

Just some before and after pics of the saddle !
D8B60859-FBB8-487C-BBE3-35299C80E436.jpeg
8BBD72D9-869F-4209-AEAB-B1CBAF7D27E5.jpeg

What holds the cover on? I am fast approaching the point where I need to put a cover on mine, and am not sure what to do...

Nicely done on the saddle cover! Tell us about the process, techniques, materials, patina... looks like there is a pad of some sort under that ? Looks great!

Nicely done on the saddle cover! Tell us about the process, techniques, materials, patina... looks like there is a pad of some sort under that ? Looks great!
Thanks OddJob, so yeah there is padding under the leather. It’s 1/2” high density foam glued on with 3m 90 spray adhesive, then a 1/4” softer foam glued on with the same spray adhesive. At this point it’s time for the leather, you glue the edges down with gorilla glue on the bottom side of the pan and spray the narrow part of the saddle with the spray adhesive. Let that fully cure, then spray the rest of the saddle and stretch the leather tight and glue the edges underneath with the gorilla glue again. For the patina which I actually was afraid to do because the seat looked so good and I didn’t want to ruin it, but what I did is scuff the areas I thought would naturally get worn from use with fine sandpaper. Then I went over those same areas with a witches brew of Minwax American Oak stain I had sitting on the shelf with some black shoe polish and diluted paint. I started with a small area and said man that actually looks really good. So I just kept going with the process and I think it turned out really well.!

Can we expect this level of awesomeness applied to the BMXBO when another one rolls around? With a name like Cru Jones there has to be a connection

Can we expect this level of awesomeness applied to the BMXBO when another one rolls around? With a name like Cru Jones there has to be a connection

Oh man that’s awesome! Basically my favorite movie of all time. When I was a kid I stopped with my Dad at a local gas station that also rented VHS tapes and I saw it sitting there “ Rad Racing”. We rented it and right after the movie I said Dad I need a all chrome BMX bike !!!!! After a few weeks of bugging him he brought home a all chrome Schwinn Predator. I decked it out with some blue pads and raced around pretending to be Cru Jones. I probably watched that movie a million times, it never got old and I LOVED that Predator!!

Oh man that’s awesome! Basically my favorite movie of all time. When I was a kid I stopped with my Dad at a local gas station that also rented VHS tapes and I saw it sitting there “ Rad Racing”. We rented it and right after the movie I said Dad I need a all chrome BMX bike !!!!! After a few weeks of bugging him he brought home a all chrome Schwinn Predator. I decked it out with some blue pads and raced around pretending to be Cru Jones. I probably watched that movie a million times, it never got old and I LOVED that Predator!!
200 (8).gif

I meant in a case of unfortunate events - colloquially known as flying over the bars. Now you might laugh but there was this case with a motorcycle rider to whom that happened and it is really not a danger to be underestimate. Not to mention that the story takes quite an unexpected turn... :D

Crazy humidity today in Wisconsin but I took advantage of a free 2 hours and got a lot done on the other side of the tank. Also I got the saddle bolted in and my personal favorite of the day, I tucked a really sweet early 1900s brass reflector under the saddle !!! Thanks for looking !!
08D9184D-AD0A-4B9D-9261-C0E5B4FE0A15.jpeg
E2730C8E-D136-4250-8902-DEB5FC30FC1A.jpeg
A6DD0E97-30E7-4B5B-9CB6-DA992442CC74.jpeg
29DDF02B-BDCD-4815-ACFB-1E3E69788694.jpeg

So I hope everybody is having a good Memorial Day Weekend. I am happy to finally post some progress pictures. I decided to try my hand at a wood tank and sticking with the theme I used some rough sawn lumber a friend of mine got from a old man that pulled it out of a old school 60 years ago. View attachment 159345View attachment 159346View attachment 159347View attachment 159349View attachment 159350View attachment 159351View attachment 159352
I love old building timbers. Close grain, no knots, super dried out and stable. I have a bunch I got out of a commercial shed that was torn down. Great wood to work with. I love your wood tank. Is this a sandwich job with the interior hollow?

Crazy humidity today in Wisconsin but I took advantage of a free 2 hours and got a lot done on the other side of the tank. Also I got the saddle bolted in and my personal favorite of the day, I tucked a really sweet early 1900s brass reflector under the saddle !!! Thanks for looking !!View attachment 167283View attachment 167284View attachment 167285View attachment 167287
This bike is turning out great. Love the pseudo motor and exhaust pipe. With bars that low and the proper gearing you should be able to keep up with just about anyone on the bike trail. I love that period bike reflector. Not too many of those out there.

Latest posts

Back