Rollfast Build - KA Bar Kommander ***July 26th Update***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I really want to get into the buildoff this time. Hopefully it will come together alright. I don't really know all the details yet, but I know it will be a military theme build. The name may change, but right now, KA Bar Kommander is the top of the list. This photo was taken the day of the Monson, Mass show. I bought the bike off eBay and another member picked it up in Jersey and delivered it to the show for me. It has sat in my garage since and I have not touched it. No time like the present!

I bought a few parts already, but those are top secret until later. Here is what I'm starting with:

IMG_1841.jpg

Re: Rollfast Build - KA Bar Kommander

Hi, I see that you have a Zep frame also, so I thought you should know also, read the post I put for the Merc, IB57, please check your frame over really good for cracks, like I advised him, good luck with your build, will be watching yours also,

Ok, thanks for the tip. It has several coats of house paint so it will need to be stripped before I can inspect it. Hopefully this week I can do that.

heck with the cracks.Maybe watchout for those forks!!!!I cant tell whether they are coming or going!!HAHA.Very cool bike.

was hoping you'd start on that bike soon Dan. cool. take luck!

hate to tell ya fellas but that fork is supposed to be bent like that. surprise surprise surprise!!! theres another build on here somewhere that has it. looks like a good start to a nice build.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7604

Easy E

When I bought this bike, there was much debate over the fork. Seems there are several examples kicking around that look similar. I'm still undecided, but at this point, it's a moot point. I am not using it for this build as I have something MUCH better to use. :D (Thanks Joe!!!) :p 8)

Dan

yeah when you do strip the frame check the upper and mid tubes for cracks in the brazing( right in front of the seat tube....seems like most of them go around there) if it is cracked its really not hard to fix...just melt the brass out and weld it or rebraze

So here I sit in the "gathering parts and ideas" phase.

Started taking the bike apart and test fitting a few items. Already have a few problems. :lol:

1) Forks too long for the headtube. Hopefully will have a solution tommorrow.
2) Rear rack I have is too short.

Pics will follow once I work things out.

Dan

Danimal said:
So here I sit in the "gathering parts and ideas" phase.

Started taking the bike apart and test fitting a few items. Already have a few problems. :lol:

1) Forks too long for the headtube. Hopefully will have a solution tommorrow.

Dan

Does that mean that your steerer tube is too long? I've adapted long steerer's by cutting a piece of frame tube that'll just slip over it and then installing the bottom race. I did this to this bike.

blingray.jpg

May 12th Update

May 12th Update!

Spent last night working on stripping the paint from the frame. There was a LOT of paint on this sucker...several coats and some of it was tough. After stripping it, I gave a closer look. No cracks that I can see, that is good. However, it does have several small dings that I will need to fill. Also, I noticed some of the brazing work was pretty rough and sloppy. I don't think I'm going to try and make it perfect becasue I fear I will over do it and melt it out of the joint. Then I would have to weld it and I don't want to go there. Enjoy the pics.

Feel free to go to the Photobucket album to read comments on each of the pics.

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

Re: May 12th Update! Rollfast Build - KA Bar Kommander

Looks good so far!

Re: May 12th Update! Rollfast Build - KA Bar Kommander

sensor said:
okay!!! thats it im reporting this post!!!
nude photos!!!! :lol:
looks good :mrgreen: gotta love those zeps!
I think ya gotta stuff a "dollar" in the steering tube!

Latest posts

Back