Rollin bones Movin on

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted just a little something to break up big chunk of sweet aluminum.

What color is your rear rim? Because a quarter inch of that will show between the moonie and the tire. It can also be a cool accent.

What color is your rear rim? Because a quarter inch of that will show between the moonie and the tire. It can also be a cool accent.
It's a polished aluminum felt rim. I was thinking about using some white wall paint which peels off easy if i don't like the look.

That will look great and blend with the moonie well. Your accent stripe on the disc will be perfect.

Question for the bike gurus in here. I just tried to mount up my new moon discs and ran into a problem. I pulled the sprocket off and set the disc on the wheel. the hub dont stick out far enough to even get the cog back on. am i missing something here. Spent a lot of cash to leave these in the box. Any help appreciated.

I don't have an answer but I wish I had your problem.:nod:

My guess would be that you may have to dish the wheel to move the hub off center. I do know that my Felt wheels have a spacer and washers so maybe it would work. Good luck!

Question for the bike gurus in here. I just tried to mount up my new moon discs and ran into a problem. I pulled the sprocket off and set the disc on the wheel. the hub dont stick out far enough to even get the cog back on. am i missing something here. Spent a lot of cash to leave these in the box. Any help appreciated.

I assume you got the rear moonies that have extra dish on one side to account for the way rear wheels usually are.
Like TRM said, it sounds like maybe your rear wheel doesn't have enough dish in it to work with the dish of the moonie. I can't remember, but I think the non-drive side moonie has a flatter dish like the front moonies do. Have you tried using the non-drive side moonie on the cog side of the wheel?

Are you installing these just on the back, or the front too?

The ads I've seen for them show them on a one speed cruiser. Those hubs are usually not dished to any degree. It could be the width of the rim which keeps the disc spaced too far outward. The front discs are supposed to be less spaced so maybe a front set will fit on the rear.

They say the front discs are less concave on the ads. Maybe they'll swap them? I'm sure others have had the same problem, so the mooneyes folks should have a solution for you.
I may have to give that a try just not sure i have enough time left. Too late to exchange these because i had them pinstriped.

I bet your problem is the fact your using these on the 50mm Felt rims. Your front ones might not even work. It would probably take some pretty flat discs to work with fat rims because the cog and axles don't stick out as much as they do with normal cruiser rims/wheels.

You may have to make a choice of using the Felt rim or the Moonie. Since you are covering the wheel and can't tell what rim it is anyway, I would consider an option to be to switch up to a different wheelset.

One other option if you want to keep the wider rims is to get some large pizza pans at a local restaurant supply house. They may work well if my thinking is correct on how little the axles stick out from the face of the rims.

I bet your problem is the fact your using these on the 50mm Felt rims. Your front ones might not even work. It would probably take some pretty flat discs to work with fat rims because the cog and axles don't stick out as much as they do with normal cruiser rims/wheels.

You may have to make a choice of using the Felt rim or the Moonie. Since you are covering the wheel and can't tell what rim it is anyway, I would consider an option to be to switch up to a different wheelset.

I was thinking about using a different rear wheel. I will check what i've got hanging around in the morning. Nothing like hitting the wall in the final laps.

It could be the width of the rim which keeps the disc spaced too far outward. The front discs are supposed to be less spaced so maybe a front set will fit on the rear.
I think this is most likely the problem. Those Felt rims are 50mm which would push the disc out past were it would normally be on a typical cruiser wheel.

Latest posts

Back